Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Not disagreeing with either K9f's or your ideas, in fact they are good points. For those of us who actively use the forum it would be beneficial,and I would support that, but people, in general want something for nothing. If the income raised from the core members would fund upgrades, then I'm for it.
    FTW )

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    The only other forum worth joining which is free of charge (dependent of level of membership required) and is very highly active is a USA one which I myself have recently joined. It has a wealth of very useful information but is not 'home grown' and truth be told is too busy with too many new posts to view each time you log on. The perception is that membership is growing....it is not! New people arrive and the older ones that used to contribute greatly (Trevor the Toad, Smithy, Andyrattle, Mbird and a few others spring to mind) move on. The fundamental truth is that this forum is floundering and has been for some time. I personally like this place and would like to see it flourish.

Time needs to be spent, questions answered from members and a proactive approach from the owner and moderator(s) to breathe more life into it, not excuses as to why this has not happened. If those that are supposed to develop this forum can't, recruit someone that can, if that means paying a subscription I am more than willing.

What's the point having a thread with the title above if questions don't get answered?

This post is not meant to rile, antagonise or upset anyone but may be my 'misconceived and frustrated' view of things perhaps?

Happy New Year Anyway Everyone!
    Last edited by K9F; 01-02-2017 at 09:47 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Softail 1994 EVO
    Cheers! Animated GIF:s is enabled by default in the forum engine (Signature and Avatars), i just had to do this for specific User Groups (V.I.B) etc. Should work now, please try and report back.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Street Bob
    With respect, I'm not giving 'excuses' I'm just saying how it is for me. K9F & Bluenose, you have been at the heart of this forum for ages and I thank you for everything. You are both welcome to become moderators and liase with Bosken directly, perhaps you will be able to help move this forum forward?

PM me if interested

Thanks

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Streetbob For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-02-2017), Bosken (01-02-2017), K9F (01-02-2017)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Thank you for your responses Streetbob and Bosken and for sorting the GIFs,

Streetbob you have nothing to thank me for!

Finding any animated GIFs under 19.5KB is very difficult and are very basic with the size restriction. I have a number of them but only two less than 19.5KB (one of which is not really appropriate I know but it was a favourite past time of mine many moons ago as a pubescent teenager) but they do work. I would 'suggest' a size of about 0.6-1MB would be better if possible? Sorry for mine but I will try and find another.

I am by my own admission a complete 'computer biff' and had been a very active member on a vehicle based forum for the best part of 7 years. I sold that vehicle to buy my CVO. It is perhaps the benchmark of that and other forums I compare to this?

A few things worth considering perhaps?

You need to have a specific post count or contact the administrator should you wish to sell something and you do not have the post count. A forum 'donation' is then brokered to prevent those registering just to sell something free of charge.

A forum donation will secure you 'Donator Status' whereupon you can have access to 'Members Only Area,' afford you more album space and a larger memory allocation for animated 'GIFs.'

'Trade Sponsors' are actively sought that pay to advertise. They are not allowed to force-feed members their wares of hijack threads peddling their wares. A couple of the kind of 'sponsors' I have encountered that may be worth an approach and would be of benefit to Harley-Davidson owners, Opie Oils (they afford members discount on their products), perhaps insurance brokers like Carole Nash, Bennetts (if their products are any good word of mouth spreads and further revenue heads their way). A members area was muted and is already set up I believe?

Members map, Sassman was also looking into this (as well as Bluenose) this is available on many forums but not on this one!

Personally with a forum as small as this there is nothing much to 'Moderate' and with my working pattern of 80 hours per week with a week off and demanding family the time I do have is precious, I too cannot devote the time and effort required. That is why I am prepared to 'subscribe' to make the place I enjoy even more active and enjoyable perhaps?
    Last edited by K9F; 01-02-2017 at 01:03 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Softail 1994 EVO
    I can do this for a special group, V.I.B (Very Imporant Biker) which I see does not work at the moment. Users in this group can have larger pics allowed for example.

Here you can see what can be set for each group, sizes etc.
    Note, larger pics take more server space, loads slowly etc. Regarding server space I pay around £100 for each upgrade step per year!

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    The only other forum worth joining which is free of charge (dependent of level of membership required) and is very highly active is a USA one which I myself have recently joined. It has a wealth of very useful information but is not 'home grown' and truth be told is too busy with too many new posts to view each time you log on. The perception is that membership is growing....it is not! New people arrive and the older ones that used to contribute greatly (Trevor the Toad, Smithy, Andyrattle, Mbird and a few others spring to mind) move on. The fundamental truth is that this forum is floundering and has been for some time. I personally like this place and would like to see it flourish.

Time needs to be spent, questions answered from members and a proactive approach from the owner and moderator(s) to breathe more life into it, not excuses as to why this has not happened. If those that are supposed to develop this forum can't, recruit someone that can, if that means paying a subscription I am more than willing.

What's the point having a thread with the title above if questions don't get answered?

This post is not meant to rile, antagonise or upset anyone but may be my 'misconceived and frustrated' view of things perhaps?

Happy New Year Anyway Everyone!
    Think that must be the other forum I'm on. It's quite a good one, but it's hard to track stuff on it.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Softail 1994 EVO
    You are more then welcome to look at this settings below what would best way to move up from standard Registered user to V.I.B user level?
    Once in V.I.B level you get more benefits on the forum. I personally think amount of posts could be a good thing here, forces people to post. What you say?

Attachment 6475

VIB2.JPG

My Ride
    Softail 1994 EVO
    Regarding the member map (which already is installed here but not working), there finally is an update incoming from the dev. His answer:

30 Dec 2016, 20:51
    There was an API change that caused this mod to no longer function. I will update it as soon as I have time.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Again Bosken,

To promote a helpful and productive environment if V.I.B status were to be awarded freely I personally would perhaps consider reaching V.I.B status by 'Posts and Reputation and Date' that would prevent 'power posting' (for example just posting an agreement or icon in response to a thread) just to attain V.I.B status without having much productive to contribute and would perhaps influence people to stick around? Whilst I have suggested this I do not think it the best option....Simply because you as the forum owner in this scenario get nothing towards upgrading, which IS important as this is surely a 'two way street?' Hopefully we ALL wish to evolve the forum?

Or, alternatively......

Whistler had a very good point first post on this page....

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    .........If the income raised from the core members would fund upgrades, then I'm for it.
    Taking his idea forward a little......

Again to offset your own costs you could ask for a voluntary subscription simply to attain V.I.B status so that those that do 'want something for nothing' get member access to the forum but not the V.I.B status and any advantages that come with it without shelling out. In effect the V.I.Bs rather than just the core members (many of which I am sure would contribute anyway) would be paying voluntarily for upgrades.

Just a couple of ideas.
    Last edited by K9F; 01-02-2017 at 03:34 PM.