Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi there

My Ride
    Looking

Hi there

Hi Guys and Girls
    Looking to test drive a street rod on Tuesday next week with a view to purchase one.
    Briefly thought about the new Royal Enfield 650 but always wanted a Harley.
    Not ridden a bike for a couple of decades but always wanted a Hog.
    The time is right!!
    Many other street rod owners here? Cant find much on these forums about them.
    All the best
    Phil

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PhilO For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-10-2019)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi PhilO,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

There aren't a lot of Street or Street Rod owners on this forum, we could do with more though. At the moment we don't even have a section for the Street models.

The Revolution motor is over square, large bore with short stroke, so it has different characteristics to the air cooled Big Twins and Sportster models. The Revolution thrives on being revved like a Japanese motor does, the Street Rod is a great handler with it's USD forks and piggyback rear shocks, it also has a greater ground clearance than other H-D models. If you're used to Japanese machines the Street Rod will appeal to you more than the air cooled H-D V-twins.

Good luck with your test ride.

My Ride
    Looking
    Thanks for the info.
    To be honest haven't owned a bike since early 90's, so not used to any sort of bike.
    Did see that the street doesn't have a section, are they just not a model that people consider?
    I really like the brutish street fighter look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PhilO For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-10-2019)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi PhilO,

The XG750A Street Rod doesn't appeal to the traditional Harley owners, it's too high-tech for many of the older riders. I've never ridden a Street model myself, but they have been given great reviews because they are the most un-Harley like Harley. The Street Rod is faster than the 883 Sportster's, the Street Rod's redline is at 9000 rpm, my 883 Iron's redline is at 5500 rpm, so the Rod is a lot livelier and it thrives on revs, my Iron 883 just chugs along compared to the Rod.

Have your test ride and make up your own mind, you'll be pleasantly surprised by it's performance, handling, ground clearance and braking, something sadly lacking with H-D's air cooled V-twins.

Regards,

Dave.

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Good luck with your test ride. I've ridden a Street Rod recently. It's a nice bike a quite nippy, and as Bluenose says very in harley like. Not a bad thing if that's what your looking for. In real road terms i don't think there much it, between the street and the 883 other that lower down torque in favour of the 883.
    Last edited by Whistler; 01-15-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Looking
    Hey Guys thanks for all the info.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PhilO For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-12-2019)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Afternoon Phil - welcome to the forums.

I've never riden a Street but I liked Whistler's comments about it being 'a nice bike and quite nippy', and Dave also noted its superior performance and handling compared other Harleys. I have sat on one several times at the dealers (maybe even at the bike show, can't quite remember) and it feels like much more of a bike in the flesh than on paper (or screen). I like the comfort too - the ones I sat on had forward controls.

Local dealers, Riders, had a Rod version reduced to £5995 a few months ago, I could hardly belive it; I was nearly down the bank extending the mortgage 'cos it's so much bike for six grand. (I think it was the colour that was holding it back, it was a sort of a textured red oxide. Not ideal, but managable.) Also mate, I've gotta say that a Harley Street will ride, look and feel like a whole lot more motorcycle than a beloved 'old' Royal Enfield. (Enfields are sweet but, up close, they're quite 'rough round the edges'.) Go Street - you'll not be disappointed!

Cheers,

Chris

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-12-2019), Face (01-12-2019), Whistler (01-12-2019)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    It will be interesting to hear if the street rods 68hp makes any difference in 'real road terms' to the 883s 45hp.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisOfTheOT View Post
    Afternoon Phil - welcome to the forums.

I've never riden a Street but I liked Whistler's comments about it being 'a nice bike and quite nippy', and Dave also noted its superior performance and handling compared other Harleys. I have sat on one several times at the dealers (maybe even at the bike show, can't quite remember) and it feels like much more of a bike in the flesh than on paper (or screen). I like the comfort too - the ones I sat on had forward controls.

Local dealers, Riders, had a Rod version reduced to £5995 a few months ago, I could hardly belive it; I was nearly down the bank extending the mortgage 'cos it's so much bike for six grand. (I think it was the colour that was holding it back, it was a sort of a textured red oxide. Not ideal, but managable.) Also mate, I've gotta say that a Harley Street will ride, look and feel like a whole lot more motorcycle than a beloved 'old' Royal Enfield. (Enfields are sweet but, up close, they're quite 'rough round the edges'.) Go Street - you'll not be disappointed!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

The Royal Enfield 650 cc twins are completely new machines which were designed from the ground up. The 650 cc single overhead cam powerplant was designed in the UK at RE's Development Centre in Leicestershire.

There are two versions of the 648 cc 8 valve machine, the Interceptor (Roadster) and the Continental GT (Cafe Racer). Both models use the same 270 degree twin cylinder engine, they produce 47 bhp @ 7250 rpm and the torque produced is 52 Nm @5250 rpm. They're not exactly road burners, but early press road tests have been favourable.

2000000001.jpgcontinental-gt-650-side-view.jpgvehicle95400_1.jpgroyal-enfield-interceptor-650-side-view.jpg

I believe that Royal Enfield are working on a cruiser version, the Thunderbird 650 to compete with H-D's Sportster in India.

Royal-Enfield-Thunderbird-650-images-silver-720x540.jpg

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    It will be interesting to hear if the street rods 68hp makes any difference in 'real road terms' to the 883s 45hp.
    I think my sportster in standard tune felt like it had the edge in real road terms. Certainly in low down torque.
    Last edited by Whistler; 01-12-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    FTW )