Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recall Notices

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Recall Notices

Is there anywhere where you can put in your VIN number (UK or Europe) and check for recalls on your bike .

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    YES! Same site I gave you a link to four days ago. Mine is listed under 'recent info' regarding clutch recall for which I also got a letter for through the post VOSA.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index

**MORNING EDIT** On the site you can see the recalls and technical bulletins listed by title but you cannot see actual content without paying. There are currently 5 Technical Bulletins for your bike the most important one being the Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer one. This one is I believe the root cause of all the 'sumping' issues the M8 engines have been experiencing. It purely depends what month your engine was built if it left the factory with the update.

Look for more information on the USA site they have all you may wish to know under the search medium 'Sumping' and 'The fix is in.'
    Last edited by K9F; 01-06-2019 at 09:25 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Jutster (01-06-2019)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Softail
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    the most important one being the Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer one. This one is I believe the root cause of all the 'sumping' issues the M8 engines have been experiencing
    The transmission fluid transfer is a different issue to sumping. This is the transmission fluid migrating along the hollow mainshaft between the transmission case and the primary cavity. The transmission case empties and the primary case becomes over filled.

Sumping is the term used when there is too much residual oil staying within the crankcase due to inefficient scavenging. This has the effect of drag on the flywheels thus drastically reducing power output and generating excessive heat. This is why there have been six or seven revisions of the M8 oil pump design so far.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fast Lane For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (01-06-2019)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson CVO Ultra Limited
    YES! Same site I gave you a link to four days ago.'
    Priceless!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    YES! Same site I gave you a link to four days ago. Mine is listed under 'recent info' regarding clutch recall for which I also got a letter for through the post VOSA.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index

**MORNING EDIT** On the site you can see the recalls and technical bulletins listed by title but you cannot see actual content without paying. There are currently 5 Technical Bulletins for your bike the most important one being the Transmission to Primary Oil Transfer one. This one is I believe the root cause of all the 'sumping' issues the M8 engines have been experiencing. It purely depends what month your engine was built if it left the factory with the update.

Look for more information on the USA site they have all you may wish to know under the search medium 'Sumping' and 'The fix is in.'
    I looked on the site you gave me , but I want it to be more specific to my bike only not just general ,I tried here https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...e-recalls.html but the VIN wasn't recognised .
    Last edited by Pembsbiker; 01-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Pembsbiker View Post
    I looked on the site you gave me , but I want it to be more specific to my bike only not just general ……..

Bike specific? You've only had the bike a couple of days, how many recalls do you think it may have been subject to in that time?

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Bike specific? You've only had the bike a couple of days, how many recalls do you think it may have been subject to in that time?

I know the bike has been sat in the dealership for at least 6 months , so I thought it might have shown any work that they may have had to do with it while they have had it , just trying to check that all the work has been done , in the USA they have to produce documents to the new owner that the work has been done .

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    You can request a printout of any work carried out on the bike from the dealership themselves to include any recalls that may have affected it. By cross-referencing against the link I sent you, that should be a good indicator whether they've missed anything? Should this not all have been ticked off the list before it arrived at your house? You have warranty, ride it, enjoy it, and see what get's shaken out of the tree by doing so! The first service will be on you before you know it!

Last edited by K9F; 01-06-2019 at 06:51 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Lol I have been riding for years , here is one of my bikes that was in BSH centre spread and on the front cover in 2000

IMG_0369.jpg

This was also featured in the centre pages of BSH in 1999 , and it was used to launch Bikersweb .co.uk , both bikes had 96 S&S engines in

IMG_0368.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    My mate bought a new Ultra in 2017; so far it’s had 1. A new oil upgrade oil pump (the original failed out on the road) 2. A new water-pump (it failed in northern Spain and almost ruined a biker-trip holiday) 3. A new clutch master-cylinder (a recall) 4. And there’s still a query over the engine-transmission oil migration issue, not yet sorted.
    Just sharing, I love Harleys but still feel guilty as I had persuaded my mate above to switch from his trusty Goldwing to the new HD Ultra at £33000 with all the extras he put on. My other mates with pre Milwaukee 8s and myself have had no bother like this I’m glad to say! Steve