My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883N Iron 2018

A question not about a bike.

Hi

As this section is for off topic I thought I could post my question here.

I bought a little car a few weeks ago for under 4k, I paid for it and waited for it to be prepared and then delivered to my home on trade plates, it has not been used since.

I decided to change the existing wheels for another set I prefer and already own.

I used the wheel locking nut tool which came with the car to take the wheels off, which felt like it was giving way to the correct amount of torque pressure, on the third wheel the locking nut tool just fell apart.

I tried to obtain a replacement wheel locking nut tool which would fit but was unsuccessful, due to this I will have to get all four locking nuts removed and a new set of wheel nuts to replace them.

I contacted the dealer who I bought the car from, he is telling me that I will have to put this right myself and at my own expense.

My question is...should the dealer put this right or is this something I should have to put right myself?

broken wheel nut tool (1).jpg

broken wheel nut tool (2).jpg

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Whilst I agree in principle about the dealer taking the hit for the cost are you prepared to spend the time, possible frustration and bad feeling that may be generated in arguing your case? This may not put you in a good place should the remaining warranty (presumably 3 months dependent on age of car) on the car be needed to be used?

The locking wheel nut tool should have a serial number on it. Find out how much a replacement is or go to a dealership and present them with the tool and ask for a replacement if it is indeed an original item.

You could always contact trading standards if you think your grievance carries enough weight. They will clarify your position one way or the other.

Alternatively just ditch the nuts altogether. Locking wheel nuts are not so critically important as they once were, there are a myriad of tools now available from as little as £12 a pair that will quickly and effectively remove most locking nuts on the market. I bought a set made by Laser that removed my BMW ones in a jiffy when the carbon steel pins broke.
    Last edited by K9F; 12-02-2018 at 02:13 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Whilst I agree in principle about the dealer taking the hit for the cost are you prepared to spend the time, possible frustration and bad feeling that may be generated in arguing your case? This may not put you in a good place should the remaining warranty (presumably 3 months dependent on age of car) on the car be needed to be used?

The locking wheel nut tool should have a serial number on it. Find out how much a replacement is or go to a dealership and present them with the tool and ask for a replacement if it is indeed an original item.

You could always contact trading standards if you think your grievance carries enough weight. They will clarify your position one way or the other.

Alternatively just ditch the nuts altogether. Locking wheel nuts are not so critically important as they once were, there are a myriad of tools now available from as little as £12 a pair that will quickly and effectively remove most locking nuts on the market. I bought a set made by Laser that removed my BMW ones in a jiffy when the carbon steel pins broke.
    I quoted you in case you changed it again.

Unfortunately, the tool does not have any markings on it at all.

I don't trust trading standards, they led me up the path some years ago which ended up costing me many thousands of pounds in a four year court case, which I lost due to the old boy network the merchant was involved with, and a £12,000 engine I had to put right myself having bought it from new with a two years warranty which was worth nothing.

I would ditch the bolts if I could get them off.

I don't know what I am looking for but I will look for a suitable set of locking wheel nut removers.

My Ride
    I have now looked at scores of different Locking Wheel Nut Socket Bolt Key Remover Installer Sets, and lots of videos too, but none of them deal with the spinning metal collar lug version which I have on my car.

There was one video which suggested that the centre of the wheel nut be drilled out after smashing the spinning metal ring collar off, but that could cause considerable damage if it went wrong.

I am beginning to understand why the car dealer doesn't want to do the job.

My Ride
    2017 1200 Custom
    Are they the standard set the manufacturer fits from new ?
    If so most franchise dealers would have a master set and would remove it for you
    Adventure before Dementia !!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I used a set of these but I got away with the two piece kit which was only £16 if memory serves? The only difficulty was getting the removed bolt out of the tool afterwards, an engineering vice and persistence worked wonders. Laser supply numerous different kits dependent on your needs and can be got at Halfords, you could 'try before you buy' perhaps?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-3464-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
    Last edited by K9F; 12-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    A little bit of digging reveals a company called McGard supplies a lot of the spinning collar type locking wheel nuts. One guy wrote to them and got a replacement but if they are seized it won't help much. The internet is festooned with horror stories about these nuts, especially on Vauxhall and Renault forums. People have tried to remove and chisel the collars off to get a removal tool on to no avail. The most successful route appears to get a welder to weld a bar to the nuts themselves. A good welder will not damage the wheels either. As T-7 mentioned dependent on what make of car it is trying the main dealerships may be worth a punt as there are those that have a master set of removal tools as the problem is so well known. The issue is caused by muppets using an impact wrench to tighten them up and not greasing them beforehand.

Little wonder the seller of your car wants nowt to do with it!
    Last edited by K9F; 12-03-2018 at 11:50 AM.

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    If your sure the McGard are the ones you could try a oxy/acetylene torch on the nut. You are changing the wheels for other so perhaps you just junking the old ones.
    You will need to get it good and hot though in case it's rust thats holding it.

My Ride
    I managed to get the nut off by banging a socket over the top, so all done now,

Thank you for your help.