Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 iron

Torx stupid bolts !

Why in the 21st century do Harley davidson In particular insist on using these crapy torx bolts/screws ?????
    The holes are so shallow that its so easy to chew the heads up (even using Snap-On bits) which can lead to major problems getting the damaged one's out. Whats wrong with good old allen heads/hex bolts & phillips ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gc916 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-30-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FXDXT
    Sorry to hear you`re struggling. So far I`ve found the fasteners on my `02 Dyna to be decent quality.
    Certainly better than a certain Italian marque I owned. Its bolts were made of pasta & glued in with copious amounts of threadlocker. Undoing anything was a heart-in-mouth experience.

Cheers,
    dipso441

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    The Torx design allows for a higher torque to be exerted than a similarly sized conventional hex socket head. This allows for smaller size heads for a given torque. When removing try the next size up until it no longer fits then go down one size as for example a T25 will appear to fit when really a T27 would be required. Torx are the 21st century fasteners.
    Last edited by Johnnythefox; 11-29-2018 at 10:52 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    I find that the reses is to shallow for the high torque & large headed ones & even with the correct size torx bit its too easy for the socket to to go off centre & especially if you are holding a spanner on the other end or using an extension bar & hey presto one knackered torx head. Im old skool & allan heads still rule IMO !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gc916 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-30-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    I find that the reses is to shallow for the high torque & large headed ones & even with the correct size torx bit its too easy for the socket to to go off centre & especially if you are holding a spanner on the other end or using an extension bar & hey presto one knackered torx head. Im old skool & allan heads still rule IMO !
    I agree if you use long reach Torx bits, they wobble like mad, short reach ones are much better.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    If you're looking for black stainless allen bolt kits for your Iron, just send me a PM.

IMG_20160822_210255 (2).jpg IMG_20160821_164646 (2).jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Built by robots, torx are easier.

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    Why in the 21st century do Harley davidson In particular insist on using these crapy torx bolts/screws ?????
    The holes are so shallow that its so easy to chew the heads up (even using Snap-On bits) which can lead to major problems getting the damaged one's out. Whats wrong with good old allen heads/hex bolts & phillips ?

I am with you on this, it's like they invent these things to make you buy different tools. Cap heads have been around for donkeys years and they are a tried and thoroughly test item. I have to say when i have had to use them they don't 'feel' good as in will they slip.
    Myself i like to see a the bolts holding things in place, for me they mean quality.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    I worked in the machine tool industry for many years, we always used "Unbrako" hexagon socket cap head bolts. If they're good enough for holding machine tools together, they're good enough for anything.

Mind you we had human beings assembling the machine tools in those days, not robots.

Torx head bolts were invented and patented in 1967 by Camcar Textron. The original Torx patent expired 1990, they were replaced by Torx Plus which had a squarer socket which allowed for higher torque settings than the original Torx socket. The Torx head is now generic and is known as the Star head.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

dipso441 (12-10-2018)

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    I worked in the machine tool industry for many years, we always used "Unbrako" hexagon socket cap head bolts. If they're good enough for holding machine tools together, they're good enough for anything.

Mind you we had human beings assembling the machine tools in those days, not robots.

Torx head bolts were invented and patented in 1967 by Camcar Textron. The original Torx patent expired 1990, they were replaced by Torx Plus which had a squarer socket which allowed for higher torque settings than the original Torx socket. The Torx head is now generic and is known as the Star head.
    Yep thats where i came across cap heads during my stint in the tool room during my apprenticeship.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawkeyefxr For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (12-10-2018), dipso441 (12-10-2018)