Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron

H-D's Livewire electric motorcycle to go on sale next August for 20MY.

Harley-Davidson's first production electric motorcycle, the Livewire is due to go on sale in August 2019 as a 2020 model.

First announced as "Project Livewire" concept machine in 2014, prototype's were sent to selected H-D dealerships in the USA to evaluate public reaction, the electric motorcycle proved a hit with those who tried out. H-D has now decided to put the Livewire into production, the final production version has been announced and it has gained a bikini fairing that the prototype didn't have. The retail price will be announced in January 2019.

051-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg 052-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg 054-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg 055-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg 056-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg 057-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg 2019-Harley-Davidson-LiveWire-electric-cruiser_6.jpg 2019-harley-davidson-livewire-electric-cruiser-3-683x1024.jpg 2019-harley-davidson-livewire-updates-2-1200x9999.jpg 2019-harley-davidson-livewire-updates-3-1620x1080.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson CVO Ultra Limited
    I think it looks nice. Wondering how it will compare against a Zero, which I ride daily, and love.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jutster For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-26-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I think with all electric vehicles the price will be prohibitively expensive. Bang for buck when you consider what can be bought for the same price as a new electric vehicle the choice isn't difficult.

The Livewire looks a fantastic machine but the prototypes only had a range of 40 miles. Whilst battery technology is coming on leaps and bounds it isn't where it needs to be with regards to cost of replacements and infrastructure. My work vehicles pay £72 a month battery leasing, I don't use £72 a month in fuel for our family car and it's more convenient and will get me as far as I want with less hassle.....at the moment anyway.

I'd wager they'll be a hell of a lot more than the cost of a fully loaded 114 CVO.
    Last edited by K9F; 11-26-2018 at 07:32 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-27-2018)

My Ride
    I do totally agree that electric vehicles can (depending on the potential users mileage/type of riding) be ridiculously expensive. With the Zero, a S model works out around £9,000, which I personally believe is good value for money, particularly when considering the 5 year warranty on the battery and the quality components. It provides up to 100 very realistic miles, has stunning acceleration, is light, manoeuvrable, and sooo smooth and refined to ride. I personally would only look at financing over a 3 or 4 year PCP deal, as this removes any risk involved with owning a 5 year old bike and not having the battery covered under warranty. But seriously, what a bike, I walk past all the shiny BMWs to get on it (much to my colleagues amusement) but then they piss themselves when I turn up on the Harley!! No accounting for taste.
    Last edited by Jutster; 11-26-2018 at 11:14 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jutster For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-27-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    We have two Nissan Leafs at work. Whilst aesthetically the only thing missing from the vehicle is a disabled badge on the rear the acceleration (when the vehicle is taken out of ECO mode) is absolutely phenomenal, it takes off like a scalded cat. They too have only a 100 mile range which can be greatly reduced by switching on heating/air conditioning etc. The range is absolutely no use to me whatsoever, maybe for those that have a small commute, or live like Hobbits and never venture out of the Shire, but even going on holiday that range wouldn't even get me to a major airport and back. Our Nissan Leafs were over three years old and upon enquiring about trading in they were worth only 20% of what they originally cost.
    Last edited by K9F; 11-27-2018 at 07:55 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Jutster (11-27-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    The Livewire is aimed at city commuters, young professionals who live in the suburbs and require an eco friendly machine for travelling into the city to work and back. In this case the limited mileage of 100 to 120 from a full charge won't be a problem.

The average electric motorcycle costs £3 to fully charge it's batteries, it's economical to run too, on average 2.5p per mile compared with 9p per mile on your average Harley-Davidson. There's no road tax to pay, but insurance is higher on an electric motorcycle due to it's lack of engine noise.

It's a case of horses for courses, electric vehicle technology will improve with time. Remember in 2040 the sale of new petrol and diesel powered vehicles are due to be banned.

Think green, think smart, think electric.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Harley-Davidson's first production electric motorcycle, the Livewire is due to go on sale in August 2019 as a 2020 model...
    Morning Dave - it is an interesting bike. I had hoped to see one at the NEC show but either it wasn't there or I missed it. Shame. The Zeros were there (along with a WWII Spitfire... a little warbird jocularity there) though I didn't get round to properly inspecting them. It is an interesting comparison, Zero S to Livewire:

051-harley-davidson-livewire-elektromotorrad-2019jpg.jpg

2019-harley-davidson-livewire-updates-2-1200x9999.jpg

zero-sr-studio-ra_3c2e5a3f.jpg

zero-s-studio-profile_b8318113.jpg

For elecrtic bikes, they both look okay. And the Zero price (for the full monty SR) of about £21,000 is reasonable, especially as Juster says there is a 5-year battery guarantee. (I wonder if HD will offer that?) It wouldn't work for me because of the range limits that Mal notes (and the cost!), but if I was 'normal' and had a 'normal job', it would be a perfect commute. Fun too, I'll bet: 96Nm for a 1200 Sportster, 146Nm for the Zero SR (maxed-out).

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    There's no road tax to pay, but insurance is higher on an electric motorcycle due to it's lack of engine noise...
    No tax is good - I didn't know that. But higher insurance? You gotta' be kidding me Dave! All the nonsense legislation aimed at redusing noise from exhaust, then we get a full, no-noise machine - and you have to pay for it?! The modern world I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    ...The Livewire looks a fantastic machine but the prototypes only had a range of 40 miles. Whilst battery technology is coming on leaps and bounds it isn't where it needs to be...
    Indeed Mal - this is the core of the problem as I understand it. The battery advances my be positive, but they're miniscule in comparison to the advances elsewhere - like elelctronics or computerising (or even internal combustion engine developement, I imagine). Until batteries are properly powerful and durable, electric travel will be difficult and expensive. I think it's like the antibiotics problem in medicine: we need a fundamental change - or lighting-strike type discovery - to advance both.

I'm working on it...

Cheers,

Chris

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-28-2018)

My Ride
    Hello Chris, battery technology advances at approximately 8% per year, which when compared to combustion engines is quite a steep curve. With regard to the Zero SR price, this is £14,690 not £21,000. Sorry, please don’t think I’m waving the electric flag, or picking holes in your post, but that is the true retail price.

I love having the extreme opposites of what a old (twin cam) Harley with all its noise, vibration and character, compared to the quietness, smoothness and refinement of the Zero. I just hope Harley don’t go too silly on their pricing of the Livewire.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Jutster View Post
    Hello Chris, battery technology advances at approximately 8% per year, which when compared to combustion engines is quite a steep curve. With regard to the Zero SR price, this is £14,690 not £21,000. Sorry, please don’t think I’m waving the electric flag, or picking holes in your post, but that is the true retail price.

I love having the extreme opposites of what a old (twin cam) Harley with all its noise, vibration and character, compared to the quietness, smoothness and refinement of the Zero. I just hope Harley don’t go too silly on their pricing of the Livewire.
    I love not having to stop and charge up after less than 100 miles.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    What will the value of a Zero be after the 5 year battery warranty has expired?