Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEC Bike Show

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by dipso441 View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Pic is of THE bike my pal takes delivery of in the morning... Confess I know nothing about the modern Injun & how it compares with our beloved HD... I hoiked it off the stand as I would my Dyna, & nearly threw it across the showroom. Relatively speaking, it`s a light bike. Also, the oe pipes sound good; no need to swap...
    Morning dipso - So your mate must have had the bike a few days now, shame the weather has been poor! But I bet he's put a few miles on it so I'm interested to hear how he does.

I checked the weights (comparing my Custom with the new Scout 1100) and it is lighter: HD - 268kg compared to Indian - 249kg. Not a massive amount different, maybe equivalent to a partly used bag of cement. In other areas (which would be important to me) the Indian wins hands-down:

Seat ht: 656mm compared to 725mm
    Lean angle: 31° compared to 26.2° & 28.3° (l & r)
    Ground clr: 135mm compared to 105mm

and even power: 63hp compared to 100hp

The Scout is a really nice bike all round: I still love my beautiful Custom, but...

Cheers dispo,

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisOfTheOT; 11-27-2018 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldvelonut View Post
    Great to see the “Fourbeam” is there, I have watched this grow from an idea to the finished bike through the Sunbeam Owners Fellowship ( I have an S8).
    Morning Pete - I remeber you said you regretted selling your Velocette, but that it was a necessity. I take it the S8 is compensation? I was not familiar with it so I got a picture, as is my want:

9022702.jpg

Looks nice. I hope it's easier to start than your old Velo.

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson FXDXT
    So far, the Scout has done 30 miles. Mate declares it a revelation in handling terms; he`s come from a Suzuki Intruder so mebbe no surprise there.
    I had a better look at it & it`s clearly very un-Harley. Liquid cooled, DOHC, engine is stressed frame member, cast alloy frame & swing arm, to name but a few.
    It has neither an alarm nor a fuel guage, which some might prefer. He is aware of the battery draining issues with alarms, & is happy to use the trip mileometer to indicate fuel stops.
    Salting of roads is imminent so it might be a while before the next progress report.

Cheers,
    dipso441

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L

S8

Hi Chris, the S8 is very easy to start provided the battery is charged and the fuel is fresh. Contemporary reports suggested it is possible to start them by hand, but I haven’t tried that! Same as the Sportster really, only the Harley needs just a thumb 😂
    I bought the S8 in bits, it had been in boxes in an attic for 20+ years, and restored it myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Hi Pete - sorry, I neglected your post. Looks like it must have been a real challanging project - all credit to you for even thinking about it. Do you have a photo of it now?

Cheers,

Chris

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Your wish is my command! I have now found some lower bars to the original pattern.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    I prefer the Sunbeam S7 with it's fat tyres myself.

The S7 was advertised as "The Gentleman's Motorcycle".

The one below looks great with it's fat whitewall tyres.

4467748-1958-sunbeam-s7-std.jpg cm0616-243844_2@2x.jpg 4467756-1958-sunbeam-s7-std.jpg

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldvelonut View Post
    Your wish is my command! I have now found some lower bars to the original pattern.
    Great job, Pete - Henry Cole would be proud! I agree about the bars too, lower bars would work better aesthetically. (What a great word! I wonder what it means...?) I also think the black paint job is better than the green above, though most vehicles look better in black. When you've got time mate, and after a sunny day, what about some bigger pics? It just seems like something that should be celebrated.

Dave - those fat tyres do look good, so 'of the era'. It really reminds me of a Model K. Wikipedia says 'The lighter S8 was sold as a "sportier" model with a top speed of 85 mph (137 km/h)... with narrower tyres to replace the 'balloon' tyres which had led to uncertain handling at speed.' Not so much with the tyres after all!

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisOfTheOT; 01-10-2019 at 04:56 PM.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post.

Although the S7 was only a 500 cc machine it was designed as a touring model, hence the balloon tyres and deep mudguards. The "Mist Green" example is a 1958 "De Luxe" model. 36 years ago I was offered a 1959 Sunbeam S8 for £450, I turned it down due to it being an unknown machine to me and I bought a 1977 registered Triumph T160V Trident with a Norman Hyde 850 cc big bore kit for £1500.

I kept the Trident for 18 months and traded it in against a brand new Triumph TSX-4, I was sold on the new bikes looks, but it was built during the last days of the of the old Triumph Meriden works and quality control was non existent. I had a lot of trouble with that machine, it was my fourth Triumph but I never bought another, not even a Hinckley built one.

Pete's S8 looks almost original even down to the cast aluminium silencer, mounted on a flexible manifold.

I'm also looking forward to viewing some closer photos too, Pete.

Other motorcycles that I let slip away were a 1976 BMW R90S in smoked red, a 1975 DKW W2000 rotory powered oddity, I was offered those for £350 each in 1986. In 1981 I was offered a Royal Enfield Meteor Minor 500 for £450, I already had a brand new Triumph T140E at that time so I didn't want another motorcycle.

All of those machines are now collectors items and worth a lot of money. It's a case of "If only I'd bought them at the time".

Cheers,

Dave.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 01-10-2019 at 08:12 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L

S8 pics

I never need an excuse to show pics of my bikes 😄
    Unfortunately I now can only attach one photo, then the next time I click on photo library it shows no photos found. I don’t seem to be able to post them full frame either.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldvelonut For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (Yesterday)