Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    I was staggered when I saw the Harley "costs for supplying and fitting the 12" apehangers to your Breakout"

it states just two hours to fit the bars,

They are charging a massive £540 plus 20% vat to fit 1 handlebar, there are 4 allen bolts holding the clamp and the wiring is just a simple plug & play!
    Last edited by geezer; 11-23-2018 at 11:01 PM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    As mentioned previously Breakouts are a complete and utter nightmare with regards to the handling department. In the good ol' US of A yeeeeehaaa, fitting apes may be a viable option with miles and miles of straight roads, no roundabouts to negotiate. From where I am sat the drag bars are ideal as is the light bullet shroud, without the shroud one can experience very high amounts of wind buffeting at greater speed, apes will also increase greatly upper torso buffeting.
    Buy the Breakout, ride it and develop and evolve it as you see fit, you may change your mind. Surely having apes fitted first is not a precursor to procuring the bike is it? Excuse the pun but don't get too hung up on apes would be my advice.

You could always buy your own bars and fit them yourself. 100thmonkey on his Bagger even went as far as burying the hydraulic lines in his bars too for the tidiest look I have seen but it wasn't easy.

Last edited by K9F; 11-24-2018 at 09:32 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    With a change over cost of £1,686 +VAT for bars added to the cost of a bike costing £19,000 it would be a precursor for me,
    Excuse the phrase, 'A fool and his money are soon parted'

Buffeting apes are part of the comfort of sitting upright and not of having all of your weight on your balls for several hours and wrists as with my superbikes,
    Its a 'pays ya money and takes ya choice' thing.

I already have apes on my sportster so it is not unknown territory.

I have sat on several breakouts now, the one which appeals to me most is unfortunately the one with the massive full size cow horn bars; but the bike has chrome turbines, big radius Vance & Hines pipes, stainless steel braided cables, chrome air filter cover, HD foot pegs, HD hand grips, large chrome bullet HD headlight, Screamin' Eagle stage one, full service history, only a few hundred miles on the clock, original colour paint work unmarked in its entirety, and several other assets.

But it is the massive bars I cant stand which make the bike uncontrollable with arms stretched out to extreme, or the extortionate cost of changing them.

So it is a precursor for me, just the cost of the parts are ridiculous even if I was to fit them myself, I cant find them for less than £800 anywhere.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    With the Breakouts they have oodles of torque, the problem I had was actually keeping my arse in the seat without the pillion seat fitted. With apes the strain on quick acceleration would be transferred to your back and shoulders, something I could not tolerate with my back problems. Your comment with regards to 'buffeting apes are part of the comfort of sitting upright' I may have misunderstood? There is no comfort to be gained when greatly increasing the risk of being wind buffeted, it is bad enough on a standard Breakout without the headlight cowling. On a bike with fairing like a tourer the issue isn't so profound as long as the apes don't rise too far above the fairing. The standard bars on a 1690 Breakout are slightly upturned and can be rotated in the clamp rearwards to increase comfort, on the 110s they are drag bars and straighter in appearance, there is no strain whatsoever on the wrists or pressure on 'your swingers' with either style as you have forward controls and the seating position is not like any superbike. You really need to test ride one to gauge a decent opinion as to whether apes are a necessity or a 'must have that you don't actually need.' They do look good though! The bike you are keen on, where are the original bars? You could negotiate the fitting of those perhaps as a precursor? If you 'lane split' as I have a tendency to do wide bars are problematic too, you may as well be on a trike with the width. Both Cheltenham and Oxford Harley-Davidson have an FXSBE 110 for sale no apes though and at quite a price, as stated the CVOs do seem to hold their money well..

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited by K9F; 11-24-2018 at 12:58 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    The 'comfort' I speak of is a relative remark, as in on my superbikes I have 14 stone sat on my balls which ache for sometime after the ride; as opposed to being 6 foot with arms to match, uncomfortably reaching out to hold the cow bars on the breakout.

My sportster taught me the relative comfort of sitting upright with 12" mini apes, but alas it is a relatively small bike.

I thought 12" mini apes on a breakout would give me similar comfort.

I understand the fitted bars can be turned up but that will not make the bars any narrower.

I will keep looking.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to geezer For This Useful Post:

K9F (11-24-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Understood Geezer, thanks. I am 14.5 stone and 6' with the standard drag bars on my Breakout I could not envisage having done 570 miles in a single day without aches, pains or discomfort when dismounting (mental fatigue was a different matter) swapping out to anything else. I concur with the superbikes and that was the reasoning behind me at a certain age ditching them for either a Parker Knoll recliner on wheels or a sit up and beg bike, hence the Harley and KTM respectively. My days of riding arse in the air leaning weight forward over the tank to reach a set of bars are over, I did enjoy it whilst it lasted though.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    …...Both Cheltenham and Oxford Harley-Davidson have an FXSBE 110 for sale no apes though and at quite a price, as stated the CVOs do seem to hold their money well..Good luck with your quest!

The sentiment about good luck still stands but it looks like a fellow forum member has bought the FXSBE from Oxford.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes...akout/3587449/
    Last edited by K9F; 11-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

bungie (11-25-2018)

My Ride
    Here is another one of several I was considering below, but to bring it up to what I want adds another £3000 or more.

I will keep looking, what I want must be out there somewhere, without the other expenses added to it.

I will also keep looking for a set of 12" apes at a sensible price in anticipation, unfortunately I am told that there is only 1 set of apes which will fit a breakout, that being the HD set of apes.

https://www.warrs.com/harley_davidso...ec6798572d.htm

My Ride
    I will keep looking
    Last edited by geezer; 11-24-2018 at 11:18 PM.