Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others

Which Breakout Should I Buy?

Hi

I am looking for a Breakout, which would be the better one to buy? what years were they made?

geezer

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    A chrome one!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-21-2018), xbpod (11-21-2018)

My Ride
    '12 WideGlide, 05 XB9 Buell, 52 Pan,
    I rode a 2017 103” twin cam and loved the way it looked, but just didn’t really like the way it rode. I also test rode a 2018 114” M8 recently. That really did impress, everything was good, masses of power, great brakes and the suspension is a huge improvement. 100 lb lighter, makes it about the same weight as a dyna. I think the M8 is better looking too.

But the price! Ouch!

Ride them both is the best way ��
    You know you're getting old when your classic motorcycle wasn't when you bought it...

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    What does the Milwaukee eight have that others don't..?

and what was it you liked about the "2017 103” twin cam" ?

but " just didn’t really like the way it rode"..?

My Ride
    '12 WideGlide, 05 XB9 Buell, 52 Pan,
    Well, the riding position for me wasn’t quite right, and I felt you have to work to put it down into corners, I dare say you get used to it and a good friend of mine doesn’t seem to have any problems judging by the way he hustles his about!

The M8 models have bigger engines (114 cubic inches v 103”) 4 valves per cylinder, oil cooled heads, are about 100 pounds (50 ish kilos) lighter and have much better suspension and brakes. However I have heard some people say they prefer the twincam Breakout, choices, choices hey?

I really liked the M8 version but my 2012 Wideglide is still a sweet ride, is paid for and I couldn’t justify the extra cash (my bike and 12 grand) for a new Breakout. If I was going down the personal finance plan route I probably would have one, but I’m an old school “cash on the nose” kinda guy.

Both Breakouts are cool bikes, but a late Wide glide is a really good alternative if you are counting the pennies...
    You know you're getting old when your classic motorcycle wasn't when you bought it...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Panheadjohn For This Useful Post:

geezer (11-22-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    What does the Milwaukee eight have that others don't..?

Serious sumping issues.

If you're going to buy an M8 make 100% sure that it is a 2019 model that has had the plate behind the oil pump upgrade. The very latest models are reputed to have this issue sorted but there is no recall and many people have had to have their engines swapped out under warranty as a result. One guy is on his fourth engine with little over 6000 miles on the clock. Head over to the USA forum and have a look there are plenty of details and the fix to sort it out. Personally I have not heard of any issues over here but I don't know anyone that owns an M8, and the dealerships are very coy when you ask them. The M8s also have a significantly smaller tank over the Twin Cam models.

Quote Originally Posted by Panheadjohn View Post
    Well, the riding position for me wasn’t quite right, and I felt you have to work to put it down into corners, ...
    Nail on the head there John.....You do have to work damn hard initially!

Breakouts I found are shit pigs on handling but the meanest looking out of the line up. After forty years of riding my Breakout took me longer than any other bike to get to grips with. 7 months after purchase I finally got there harmonising both my own limitations and those of the bike. For pootling about on they are rubbish, 8' 3" long and over 1000lbs in weight. For longer haul trips motorway and autobahn cruising they are brilliant. I did 570 miles in a day with 13 hours in the saddle. No aches or pains when finally reaching my destination. Breakouts are not for the feint-hearted and you need to give it time to get to know it. Mine is a 110 Twin Cam and I would not consider getting shot as I am not finished with her yet. Best bike I have owned to date.

If you can stretch to a CVO Twin Cam and find one suitable you get a slightly smaller rake, USD forks, twin discs up front, cruise control and a plethora of other bits and bobs out of the box. They handle better than the 103s as a result and they seem to hold their money better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    A chrome one!
    Did make me chuckle Leeds, reminded me of the V-Rod I saw in Hamburg, they don't come much more chromed than this.

Last edited by K9F; 11-22-2018 at 08:28 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    I have looked at several breakouts now, one of my thoughts are the cost of items I would want which are maybe not on the bike I might choose.

eg, I like one of them, a 2017, but it has bars I don't like so I wonder what would it cost to have the existing handlebars changed to 12" mini apes if I was to make an offer.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL1200L
    Make the offer dependant on them changing the bars before purchase, no warranty issues then ��

My Ride
    It's a sold as seen deal,

one of the odd 'sold as seen' deals was that the seller wanted £19,000 for the bike and the seat was an extra £500 if I wanted it!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Just a short UK story/experience to pass on, my mate has had a 2017 M8 Ultra from new. In the first year the oil pump went first, water pump went next in Spain (not very convenient to say the least) & there's now a recall on the hydraulic clutch but not enough modified clutch parts to go around! There is also the oil transfer problem which has been ignored by the dealers and is still yet to be dealt with. I wouldn’t touch an M8, until all these issues are sorted globally!! As you say K9F there are numerous USA owners who are not too impressed to say the least.