Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Thinking about it, as Xpbod says, no difference - provided as Leeds says, using the other battery without starting the other vehicle then all good.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    In the past if I've used another vehicle to jump start, canbus or not, I've never started the engine of the other vehicle. Just connect the leads, let it charge through for 5 or 10 then away you go

Depends on the condition of the receiving battery and the size and ampere hour rating of the donor battery. If say you were to use a heavy duty car battery on a motorcycle battery without the alternator charging there would be a chance of a massive inrush of current from one battery to the other causing either the leads to melt or the plates to warp and short out on the receiving battery as you are far exceeding the ampere hour charging rate. It is more stable and controlled with the donor vehicle running as the alternator will condition and charge both at the same time.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    1200 Roadster
    Thanks to everyone for feedback so far

So, got it fired up this evening after charging the battery. Now the engine management light is illuminated yellow. Can't remember if it was on before I started charging the battery. The bike runs perfectly but the light is on. Seems weird. I charged it in the bike without removing the battery. Hope thats not my issue and I have buggered something!. The optimate charger is simply connected to the battery so couldn't see the difference between using that, which was supplied by Harley, and a charger connected to the battery. Hope my logic isn't too flawed!

Should I just pull the main fuse for a bit and see if it resets? My nearest dealer is a 10 hour round trip away in Edinburgh so not really an option to pop down to them for a check.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Maybe a loose battery cable?

My Ride
    1200 Roadster
    Thanks again for the advice. What a great forum.

I will take the seat off again tomorrow and have a look. Cold and dark now! Still warming up from my 45 minute ride earlier

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    I’m sure you have this already thought through but....the warning light you see is it definitely the engine management light and not the ABS warning-light flashing - you have to drive a short distance over 5mph (some slow speed like this) and it goes off. Just a gentle reminder in case in your haste to get this bike going you forgot this ABS system on start up. Best w.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Good point from Steve, nevertheless IF it is the engine management light follow the procedure in the manual for a battery disconnect/reconnect and see where you stand then? If the bike wasn't set into transport mode prior to being hauled that will be the reasoning behind your issues. Fob present, bike set to run etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LNQ_8f14aE8

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Big_g (11-09-2018)

My Ride
    1200 Roadster
    I'm sure it wasn't set into "haul mode". Didn't know it even existed.

So basically I just need to disconnect the battery, leave it for a short while and then reconnect it all back up?

As it seems to run perfectly at the moment do I need to do it straight away?

My Ride
    1200 Roadster
    Good point but no, I rode it for an hour and the EMS light was still on. I'm used to the ABS light

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_g View Post
    I'm sure it wasn't set into "haul mode". Didn't know it even existed.

So basically I just need to disconnect the battery, leave it for a short while and then reconnect it all back up?
    NO! I'll say it again. Follow the exact procedure laid down in your manual for disconnection/reconnection of your battery. This involves having the fob present and selecting the run switch to on before pulling the fuse and disconnecting the negative first etc. Basically your bike with the battery having been run down and subsequently charged has seen exactly the process you have described above from an electrical perspective as a disconnect/reconnect. Simply disconnecting/reconnecting you will be repeating the process that got you where you are now! Read the manual or look up the correct process on line and you may come across the other important stuff like how to set the transport mode option too! A system reset/reboot as per the correct procedure 'may' set things right for you. hopefully? Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_g View Post
    …..I rode it for an hour and the EMS light was still on. I'm used to the ABS light
    Running with the EMS light already illuminated is NOT a good idea. Should a genuine issue manifest itself you will know nothing about it until perhaps catastrophic damage has occurred and the dealership will know that the EMS light was already illuminated and for how long.

Last edited by K9F; 11-09-2018 at 11:28 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Big_g (11-10-2018)