Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Ride
    1200 Roadster

Flat battery and trickle charger is at home

Hi All

My first post and I'm in need of assistance. Hope someone can help me with this pretty easy question

I am working in northern Scotland and am in the process of moving up here from Lincolnshire. I had my 2018 1200 Roadster transported up today but when it arrived the battery was flat. All the lights come on and the starter will turn it over maybe once and then just the solenoid clicks

Unfortunately my trickle charger is still at my house in Lincolnshire.

I have arranged to borrow a car battery charger from a mate at work tomorrow but I have no idea how to get at the battery to charge it. Do I remove the side panel and its there in front of me or do I need to disconnect things and pull it out. If I can get to the terminals do I just connect the charger or do I need to disconnect anything prior to connecting the charger?

Just to make life even more difficult I have no tools at all with me. Bad planning on my part!!!

Looking online it appears that I possibly just remove the seat and side panels and I should be able to access the terminals then. Hope it is that easy

If anyone can help with some basic instructions I would be really grateful as the weather forecast for the weekend is pretty good and I really want to have a ride in the Scottish highlands

Thanks a lot

G
    Last edited by Big_g; 11-07-2018 at 09:18 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big_g For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-07-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Remove side cover and seat. keyless fob? set run switch to run with fob present and remove main fuse, disconnect neg batt cable, disconnect positive batt cable, cant remember size 10mm? you could buy/borrow a cheap adjustable? If you remove the battery strap fastener and unhook the strap it's simple to take the battery out for charging which is recommended.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

Big_g (11-08-2018), bluenose-1956 (11-07-2018)

My Ride
    1200 Roadster
    Thanks a lot Johnny, really appreciate the quick advice

Is it possible to jump the bike off by just connecting some jumper leads from my car to the positive terminal on the battery and the frame of the bike somewhere?

First of all I am probably going to try and bump it off but I guess thats pretty difficult on your own?? Will try to enlist the assistance of someone from the office if it is. There is a slight incline outside my house which will help

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Big_g,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

I can't really add any more to what Johnnythefox has told you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Big_g (11-08-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Jump starting is definitely NOT recommended with Canbus system bikes. It can work and often does, then again there's other forums that report quite serious ensuing issues after attempting to jump start. I personally would never attempt it. Bump starting in perhaps second or even third gear is the way to go and catch it on the clutch as soon as it fires up. Your need as you are not stranded persay does not warrant a perhaps risky attempt at jump starting IMHO.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Jump starting is definitely NOT recommended with Canbus system bikes. It can work and often does, then again there's other forums that report quite serious ensuing issues after attempting to jump start. I personally would never attempt it. Bump starting in perhaps second or even third gear is the way to go and catch it on the clutch as soon as it fires up. Your need as you are not stranded persay does not warrant a perhaps risky attempt at jump starting IMHO.

I don't 'think' you can jump start a Canbus bike, I wouldn't risk it.
    I 'think' bump starting is fine. I would try it.

I agree with K9F.
    Last edited by Johnnythefox; 11-08-2018 at 09:41 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

K9F (11-08-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Physically it can be jump started. There is reference to jump starting in the Owners Manual stating that it should NOT be attempted. You need to mitigate the risk against your desperation to get under way and weigh up the fact that a flat battery may be the last of your worries if it goes ‘Pete Tong!’
    Last edited by K9F; 11-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Keep mine on an optimate too - no issues to date. However, took a look in my manual where it gives complete instructions on how my Forty Eight can be jump started- it’s 2015 model.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    I must admit I can't see the difference in connecting another battery to jump start than reconnecting your original battery once it has been charged.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    In the past if I've used another vehicle to jump start, canbus or not, I've never started the engine of the other vehicle. Just connect the leads, let it charge through for 5 or 10 then away you go

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

xbpod (11-08-2018)