My Ride
    1991 Harley-Davidson fxlr low rider

Battery trickle charger

Guys apologies if this has been answered on this forum already,but can anyone advise me on a good trickle charger for my 1340 please.
    I also have a gsxr 600 that will need he sane battery treatment if possible.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Optimate make great chargers (one lasted me 17 years). They also now have dual chargers whereupon you can charge two bikes from the same unit, ideal in your case. I have one whereupon the Harley is charged and the alternative supply is used for the 12 volt fan to inflate the bubble it lives in.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Sportster 1200 ca
    +1 for the optimate, I've had an optimate 3 for about 4 years it's been used 24/7 on all my bikes no problems

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    To be pedantic are you wanting to charge the batteries on your bike or leave them hooked up to a device that will monitor and charge as required?

The first device is usually a dumb device that will fry your battery if left connected.

The second device is a battery tender that can be left connected and it will continually monitor your battery and charge only when required.

The simplest tender is this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Ten.../dp/B000CITKCE
    HD sell the same under their own name. All new Harleys have the battery tender connector fitted.

The more exotic is the Optimate or the ones from C-Tek that have a conditioner / charger if the battery is completely flat.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Without splitting any hairs, Optimate are as the name implies ‘Optimisers’ they will monitor, cycle, and charge your battery as required they can be left attached to the bike ’ad-infinitum.’ As you have two bikes unless you wish to buy two units I would still strongly recommend this brand with the dual connection capability.

As Andy says C-Tek are also very good. Come battery replacement time I would strongly recommend a Calcium Enriched Battery. There are several benefits the best being they are able to cope with deep discharge cycles a lot more, the downside is they cost a little more.
    Last edited by K9F; 11-06-2018 at 10:21 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    Come battery replacement time I would strongly recommend a Calcium Enriched Battery.
    I haven't look at the actual make up of batteries but the motor industry is now using maintenance free Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries.

Just a quick google and it seems that some are showing there is a different mode for charging AGM, CEB and the good old fashion lead acid battery. I know my C-Tek has a setting for AGM batteries.

I am not recommending any charger just merely pointing out the type that I think the OP should be looking for.

Is the Optimate a true dual charger or does it share components between the outputs? If one side fails do both sides fail?

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Andy,

I have no idea about the internal circuitry of the Optimate, just the fact I had sterling service out of one for 17 years. The same conundrum applies to the gel type and AGM batteries come drop test time. You have to have a suitable tester capable of testing each type. Being an electrical engineer I am a traditionalist and still prefer the older wet cell removable cap type batteries. Especially when used in a 24 VDC and above configuration. A quick pop of the cell caps and by using a Specific Gravity pipette as long as the reading is 1.24-1.26 you know the battery is healthy instead of having to disconnect and isolate each battery to test.

My Ride
    1991 Harley-Davidson fxlr low rider
    Thanks for all your replies guys.
    I currently have the old fashioned wet cell removable cap on the HD and a newer closed type on the gsxr.
    They will come off the machines and trickle charged either independent my or as a pair.