Thread: Coil cover

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson sportster

Coil cover

Hi,my sportster is an 89 but I believe it has an older coil fitted (pictured).I want a chrome cover for it but the one listed for my year doesn’t have cut outs for the poles on the sides. The one that looks like it will fit is for models 71-81(pictured). Am I right in saying that it does have an older coil fitted and is this the right cover? Thanks in advance!
    CEE25524-92E4-4DA9-AC2F-891B3D61CBA1.jpg
    2CE56E25-6058-4EE3-9B12-27ED19BC2FE9.jpg

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Sportsters from 86-90 had a coil fitted part number 31614-83 or latterly 31614-83A which is NOT the one you have fitted.

The coil you appear to have fitted is part number 31609-80 which was for 80-82 Sportster models and also used on earlier models doing a search.

There were many incarnations of this style of coil which was also used on the big twins. If you have sourced a cover without the cut outs my advice would be buy it and adapt it yourself to fit or simply fit a latter coil that you can still get the cover you want for it.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Karlosthejackel76 (11-03-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson sportster
    Thanks for that it’s pretty much what I thought. I’ve got a bit of a Frankenstein bike it seems!