My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 iron

883 iron canbus wiring

Hi guys. 1st time post. 1st time Harley owner.
    I have a 2017 883 iron that I believe has this Canbus wiring system.
    My bike has the integrated rear indicator/back & stop lights & I am wondering if I introduce one of these half moon led stop & tail lights that fit up under the rear fender will I be opening a can of worms? I know if you start messing about with car canbus it can cause all sort of problems
    Any input gratefully welcomed
    Last edited by gc916; 11-01-2018 at 09:59 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gc916 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-01-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Welcome to the forum gc916, from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

My 2011 Iron 883 is a pre-Canbus model, so I'm sorry I can't advise you on this one.

Maybe some of our 2014 - up Iron owners can help you.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    If you get either an OEM one or one from Drag Specialities you will have no bother. I fitted one to my 48 and it was a Harley one, there is no messing with the wiring they are plug and play with the harness adaptor supplied. The Drag Specialities one takes a bit more work whereupon you need to splice it into existing wiring.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

gc916 (11-02-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster low

Canbus introduction

Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Welcome to the forum gc916, from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

My 2011 Iron 883 is a pre-Canbus model, so I'm sorry I can't advise you on this one.

Maybe some of our 2014 - up Iron owners can help you.
    When was the canbus system introduced? My bike is a 2009 1200L, is there an easy way to check if it is or isn’t?

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettshubby View Post
    When was the canbus system introduced? My bike is a 2009 1200L, is there an easy way to check if it is or isn’t?
    Sportsters 2014 and after have CANBUS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-02-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Update on my 2017 iron.
    K9F is quite right. Chinese ones that are not specifically for canbus system dont work without having a degree in rocket science !! Im pretty sure if I could have got it working it probably would not have lasted. Saving for a proper one.
    On a good note. My Chinese forward controls fit quite well with a slight mod to the brake master cyl connecting rod pin.
    Dont particularly like Chinese food & like there knock of stuff even less. One day I will learn !!
    Thanks for the help.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    ...Dont particularly like Chinese food & like there knock of stuff even less. One day I will learn !!
    Thanks for the help.
    No worries, I myself love Chinese food but their knock off stuff is often just that! Much of what is produced need stringent and expensive tests to ensure they meet with European safety standards to either get an E mark, kite mark or TUV approval, the Chinese often don't bother with any of that but simply copy and sell the products cheaply. They put innovative engineers and businesses out of business.

If the original item was not of good quality and design it wouldn't be copied by some other unscrupulous individual trying to make a fast buck by flooding the market with cheap copies as is reflected in the farewell closing statement of one such company below!

"Hi

Just like to thank all long term customers for supporting and dealing with us over the past 25 years, but due to overseas manufacturing and thoughtless companies copying, the original Mach 5 wheel production is over!

We have had great pleasure from many satisfied customers, including James Bonds tv crew from Skyfall.

Unfortunately in today's world, people have no feelings or respect and don't appreciate what goes into design and development, then production, which is another story!

What I think is, if the product was no good no one would copy it!......"

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster low
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    Sportsters 2014 and after have CANBUS

Hi, ok, thanks for that.