Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MOT regs

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by xbpod View Post
    Hi Leeds does the quote in red mean these lights https://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/motor...stom-set-of-4/ would fail a MOT. I only ask as I am building a custom bike and was thinking of using these.

Pete.
    Hi there. As k9f rightly says only the guy testing it will know for sure what the test result will be. However for me this one is pretty clear cut and I can confidently say it should fail. This is from the description of the lights from the link you posted:

"When you then indicate, the stop and/or taillight cancels itself as the indicator flashes"

Part of the test is light interaction, making sure the operation of the lights does not affect the other lights in any way. These units clearly do. I'm not sure why they would sell these, they won't pass a UK test, and although they seem to work to USA standards, they are clearly marketed for the UK because the indicators are amber and not red.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    4.4 Direction indicators

4.4.1 Presence, condition and operation

You must inspect all direction indicators.

Direction indicators aren’t needed for motorcycles that:
    •don’t have front and rear position lamps
    •have front and rear position lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
    •can’t exceed 30mph / 50kph
    •was first used before 1 August 1986
    •are ‘off road’ motorcycles designed to carry only the rider
    •are ‘off road’ motorcycle combinations designed to carry the rider and one passenger in the side car

‘Off road’ motorcycles are constructed or adapted primarily for use off road. For example, their tyres, suspension or ground clearance have been adapted for off road use.

Direction indicators must emit amber light, except motorcycles first used before 1 September 1965 can have white front indicators and red rear indicators.

If you 'whip off' the indicators will it pass MOT? only if in any of the above categories....
    If it was first used before august 1986 it doesnt need them, if its obviously an offroad vehicle or if you disconnect, mask or remove ALL the other lights it doesnt need them. In those cases it will pass

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    The OP has a 2000 Road King so he needs indicators.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    The OP has a 2000 Road King so he needs indicators.
    Yeah the only way he'll get it through without indicators is if he disconnects, removed or masks over all the other lights. When this happens, the tester generally types a manual advisory of "day time use only". Contrary to popular belief, there is actually no such thing as a daytime only MOT. You'd get a regular MOT and it SHOULD have the afore mentioned advisory added

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Low Rider S
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    Hi there. As k9f rightly says only the guy testing it will know for sure what the test result will be. However for me this one is pretty clear cut and I can confidently say it should fail. This is from the description of the lights from the link you posted:

"When you then indicate, the stop and/or taillight cancels itself as the indicator flashes"

Part of the test is light interaction, making sure the operation of the lights does not affect the other lights in any way. These units clearly do. I'm not sure why they would sell these, they won't pass a UK test, and although they seem to work to USA standards, they are clearly marketed for the UK because the indicators are amber and not red.

Cheers Leeds will go with a different option.
    To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by xbpod View Post
    Cheers Leeds will go with a different option.
    How about these? All lights contained in one housing and operate individually. You can get them in chrome and black. Kellermann do a range of different designs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

xbpod (11-04-2018)

My Ride
    https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/in...yABEgIjifD_BwE

Forgot to add the link!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-03-2018), xbpod (11-04-2018)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

xbpod (11-04-2018)

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    The other thing you may need is a rear reflector as well, i don't think there is one on a US bike, as least one that is legal in this country. It's an old and arcane thing. They are real cheap to buy.