Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT regs

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Road King 2000

MOT regs

Hi I've just bought a 2000 road king import from the US not registered in the U.K. Yet. What I need to know is will it pass the MOT with the rear indicators/running/brake lights with the red lenses or is there a way to get them wired for the indicators only
    Thanks

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Bigdjag,

UK law say's that you must have amber indicator lenses front and rear, so the red rear ones will have to be swapped for amber.

The USA home market turn signals have three wires, violet, black and light blue. The light blue one is for the running lights, if you disconnect it the running lights will be deactivated.

My Ride
    I've changed the lenses for smoked and orange bulbs but the indicators only have 2 wires going to them, power and earth, as I removed the tail light and pulled the plug out and they only take single filament bulbs not double its like they have a reduced voltage for riding lights and normal 12v for brake and indicators
    they are indicator, riding and brake lights

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdjag For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-31-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    The smoked lenses and amber bulbs will be fine.

I don't understand how a single filament can perform three different functions.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I've never worked on a USA system Dave but it can be easily achieved with a single filament and a two way relay. Normal running lights will probably have a resistor in circuit to drop the voltage and luminescence of the filament, activate the front or rear brake and a relay will bypass the resistor increasing the voltage to the filament making it brighter. A simple off/on flasher unit/modulator will make the same system flash when the indicator switch is operated. Issue is rupture the single filament you lose the lot!

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-31-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I don't know too much about all the Harley model types, but as a matter of interest I found the diagram below which seems to have some relevance.

I think it would be a bit bizarre for HD to introduce something like a resistor in such a simple circuit to save one filament and a bit of wire - I know some of the USA regs for rear lighting are not the same as here.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (11-01-2018)

My Ride
    Thanks for all the replays but I am still a bit confused as to how this works and how to get it to UK regs.
    On the plus when the brake is applied I can hear a clicking so there must be a brake light relay so maybe somewhere to start looking.
    I think think this is going to be a head scratcher

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Bigdjag,

From where I'm sat if your rear lights are working as they should just swap the lenses out to amber and you're there!

Have a look at the link below it'll tell you the hoops you need to jump through.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicle...ported-vehicle

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    If only it were that easy because when you turn the ignition on the lights come on including the rear indicators (running lights) when you hit the brakes the tail brake light comes on and the indicators (brake lights) get brighter like the tail brake light. Switch on the indicators they flash whichever side is selected then hit the brakes and the opposite indicator lights up but the selected indicator keeps flashing. When I looked at the wiring there are only 2 wires to each of the indicators as in the diagram above that's what is baffling me. I'll try and get a video of it and post it up.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Check each individual earth on each light, the symptoms you describe are exactly that of a bad earth scenario on your indicator circuit, when applying the brakes and the resistor is taken out of the circuit the increased voltage will naturally find the shortest resistive path to ground. If you have access to the internals check the terminals for corrosion and bend them out a little to make better contact, also check the lead terminals on the bulbs to ensure they have not worn away through vibration or pitted. An insulation tester and someone with the acumen to wield it effectively should find the issue relatively easily as the circuit is not over complicated like the newer models.

The amber European turn signal lenses for your model are part number 68506-92 and they are still available for a measly price of £2:88 each excluding postage from Jersey Harley-Davidson.
    Last edited by K9F; 11-02-2018 at 03:17 AM.