Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    I've ordered a great deal of items, motorcycle and other from China and have never been charged any fees. I have ordered from America and Japan a couple of times and have been charged each time. Whats the deal?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-30-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Last year I ordered a pair of rear shocks from China via eBay, two weeks after I received them the carrier sent me a bill for £45 import charges.

On the sellers paper work it said one shock absorber not a pair of shock absorbers. I rang the carriers number and explained that the seller sent me one shocker as a sample for evaluation, no import duty is chargeable on samples so I didn't have to pay them.

The carrier agreed and cancelled the invoice.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    I've ordered a great deal of items, motorcycle and other from China and have never been charged any fees. I have ordered from America and Japan a couple of times and have been charged each time. Whats the deal?
    Some Chinese sellers have European distribution hubs in EU countries like Germany, Poland and Sweden, it's like the goods coming into Europe in bulk through the back door, once they're inside the EU no import taxes are payable when they're sent to the other EU member states.

I've received orders from China that have been sent from Sweden and Germany, no further charges were made by me.

American and Japanese sellers don't have European distribution hubs like the Chinese do, so there is no back door into the EU for them.

Alibaba, the owner of Aliexpress.com are considering opening a European logistics centre in Bulgaria, that would give them a foothold in the EU.

Obviously things will change for us after Brexit.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 10-30-2018 at 08:30 PM.