Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    i'm 6 foot. I wasn't too uncomfortable on the mid controls but had the urge to stretch out occasionally. Forward controls are alot better for me. And yes, they mount to the lower frame bolts at the front.

And for Spurtle, these were next to new take offs so I don't have a link. However, all the Chinese forward controls in black look to be the same and are around the £140.00 mark. Just make sure you get the right set for your model year. 2014 on wards have a different mount set up for the rear brake master cylinder.

For what it's worth I've just fit the Derby cover and it looks fine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

Spurtle (10-25-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    That's good to know, I may fit it and see how it looks without the detent
    My black chinese one off ebay has the detent, although yours will be fine because as bluenose pointed out, the quadrant sealing ring (gasket) will fall somewhere within the silver circle.

Edit, you fitted it, cool, nice little freebie.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    My black chinese one off ebay has the detent, although yours will be fine because as bluenose pointed out, the quadrant sealing ring (gasket) will fall somewhere within the silver circle.

Edit, you fitted it, cool, nice little freebie.
    How is the detent attached?

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    no idea, it's not a piece that's attached, it's a one piece cover like the stock one, the cover must be stamped and machined out? my black knock off one has the exact same raised bit as the stock one I took off.

My Ride
    '16 883 Iron
    i'm 6 foot. I wasn't too uncomfortable on the mid controls but had the urge to stretch out occasionally. Forward controls are alot better for me. And yes, they mount to the lower frame bolts at the front.

And for Spurtle, these were next to new take offs so I don't have a link. However, all the Chinese forward controls in black look to be the same and are around the £140.00 mark. Just make sure you get the right set for your model year. 2014 on wards have a different mount set up for the rear brake master cylinder.

For what it's worth I've just fit the Derby cover and it looks fine.
    Thanks for the info, I'm a similar height to yourself and was considering either forwards or highway pegs. Still undecided but no rush....
    Glad the derby cover has worked for you, your bike is coming along nicely.

My Ride
    The forward controls just seem to put my feet in a more natural position. Early days yet, I haven't put that many miles on them yet but I'm happy. And thanks, still plenty I want to do though.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    The detent is larger and a different shape to the cut out in the Derby Cover, so I'm assuming that it's held in place by the Derby Cover. I've no idea what the hole is for.

25563-09-harley(1).jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    The Forwards Kits by H & C Customs all seemed to be around £100 plus £10 delivery - they are identical to all the other Chinese ones I have seen.

They are Sold Out now, but have a lot of other stuff on their website.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-25-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    The Forwards Kits by H & C Customs all seemed to be around £100 plus £10 delivery - they are identical to all the other Chinese ones I have seen.

They are Sold Out now, but have a lot of other stuff on their website.
    Just looked at the site and can confirm the ones I have are identical to those

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    The chrome versions use identical lumps of metal as the black ones.

As to the quality, I'm not really sure about it. The big mounting brackets in particular - I couldn't tell what the material was although it is obviously cast.

Whether it is cast iron or cast steel is the issue IMO. Cast steel is generally much stronger and a bit lighter than cast iron; which what I think the genuine HD ones are.

Cast steel is also bright when scraped, as opposed to the dull grey of cast iron.

I think the ones in the kit I had were fairly light but even so, Chinese steel and iron can be very different to those materials made in the US and UK etc.

I have known some of the Chinese brackets to snap quite easily when knocked which would suggest cast iron, but I noticed mine would flex a bit when all bolted up and pushing on the brake hard - because there was some give in them, I thought maybe not cast iron.

I guess you simply have to take your pick on what is available at the amount you can afford.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-26-2018)