Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron

Fitted forward controls to the Iron

Recently fitted forward controls to the bike and it's made a huge improvement to my comfort. I painted the rose joints black and used black stainless bolts supplied by Bluenose-1956.

Initial impressions are good, despite been made in China they appear well made. I may re drill the hole in the brake rod further back, this will allow the pedal to sit slightly more upright. I'll put a few miles on it first before deciding.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-24-2018)

My Ride
    '16 883 Iron
    Will be interested to hear your overall thoughts on these after more miles, and do you have a link to the seller, please?
    Cheers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spurtle For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-24-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I made an aluminium brake rod for my set, which was adjustable for length. You could alter yours fairly easily if you remove the rose joint at the pedal end. You would need to cut the threaded end of the rod off, drill and tap the cut end, add a stud long enough for a suitable spacer, two half lock nuts and the rose joint.

However, make sure the rose joint bolt at the master cylinder end has plenty of Loctite on it, because I found that many of these Chinese kits are metric threaded; but the master cylinder bell crank thread is UNF. Metric M6 is small than 1/4" UNF so it could pull out.

AL

PS: I sold my forwards because I simply couldn't get on with them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-24-2018), Leeds883 (10-25-2018)

My Ride
    On mine, there is no rose joints at the master cylinder end. The rod slides into the front of the master cylinder and is held there with a pun and a circlip. I may drill the hole that the pin fits through slightly further back. This would in turn raise the brake pedal up higher.

On a related note, the seller included this derby cover as a freebie. There is a cut out on the lower left side, anyone know what this is for? It doesn't look like it would seal when I compare it to the one which is one there at the minute.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Ride
    '16 883 Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeds883 View Post
    On a related note, the seller included this derby cover as a freebie. There is a cut out on the lower left side, anyone know what this is for? It doesn't look like it would seal when I compare it to the one which is one there at the minute.
    That's the indent for the clutch cable.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurtle View Post
    That's the indent for the clutch cable.
    The cover I've just put on doesn't have that indent, my clutch cable enters further back than the derby cover. Wonder if they have changed slightly on later models

My Ride
    I've just found this picture of the cover which shows the "missing piece" so to speak.

25563-09-harley(1).jpg

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Only the genuine H-D Derby Covers come with the small detent, it simply covers the end of the clutch cable.

Chinese covers don't have the detent, but without it no oil is lost because it's outside the clutch sealing gasket.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Only the genuine H-D Derby Covers come with the small detent, it simply covers the end of the clutch cable.

Chinese covers don't have the detent, but without it no oil is lost because it's outside the clutch sealing gasket.
    That's good to know, I may fit it and see how it looks without the detent

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Iron 883
    How tall are you may I ask? I did think about doing this but don't feel particularly uncomfortable with the stock set up. Is there existing mounts that you can use for the new footpegs etc?