Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swing arm play

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200
    Its the side to side movement of the swing arm at the axle end.
    Spent the morning stripping out the swing arm. The bearings are not rollers, but look a bit like a large "rose" joint. Not sure that's the correct description !
    Both sides have play with one more than the other. Very little grease apparent. Waiting for new bearings.
    Thanks to all for input.

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    While the swing arm is off have you looked to see if there is play in the swingarm pivot shaft that the bolts go into?

That shaft as you have seen is held up by the rear engine isolators.

Could you take a picture of the swingarm pivot shaft and post them here please?

My Ride
    XL1200C
    I’m replacing my swing arm bearings next year when I either change or refurbish my back wheel. The bearings are spherical bearings that allow angular rotation around a central point in two orthogonal directions. Thus the Sportster’s swingarm will always have a degree of play.

Spherical Plain Bearings (also known as “Spherical Plane Bearings” "Spherical Ball Bushing Bearings" and “Ball Bushings”) have an inner ring with a sphere convex outside surface and an outer ring with a correspondingly sphere, but concave inside surface. Their design makes them particularly suitable for bearing arrangements where alignment movements between shaft and housing have to accommodate, or where oscillating or recurrent tilting movements must be permitted at relatively slow sliding speeds.

Here’s the ones I bought, part number HD 9209.

D7A38AB0-D7BE-4469-BC52-62460064168A.jpg

3CC92289-FBD8-4AE7-8AC3-D970DC8E8C82.jpg

Note that the genuine HD bearings come with new retaining clips, I bought some just in case the old ones broke.

According to my Clymer Sportster manual, the swingarm bearings should be checked every 30,000 miles.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Face; 10-21-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Tidy up

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-21-2018), Gettin'onabit (10-21-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Thanks for that, Face.

At least if I have do the same job as the OP I will know what to expect.

The bearing type is not dis-similar to those sometimes found in the mounting eyes of mono-shocks - and the OP says a bit like a rose joint.

7000 miles is a bit on the short life side, innit?

AL

My Ride
    IMG_0466.jpgIMG_0465.jpgIMG_0463.jpg

Photo's attached as requested. The tube that the bolts screw into solid with no sign of play.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Amjenn For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-22-2018)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    I asked for the pictures because I have changed the rear engine mounts (isolators ) on my partners bike.

The pivot shaft on yours looks in a good position. As the mounts wear so the pivot drops down. It does look though like your right hand side one is starting to droop.

If there is no play in the mounts then it can't be that causing your swingarm conundrum.

My Ride
    New bearings fitted and now zero play in swing arm. Andy from Sandy's post about the rubber mounts got me looking into this and I found this thread on another forum.http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread...=559939&page=6
    The comments about handling issues with the belt running tight may be relevant as I suspect my belt was too tight previously. I've set the tension up now with the shocks disconnected. This allowed me to set the swing arm at a position such that the rear axle, swing arm pivot and rear sprocket are all in a line. ie:- belt at its tightest.
    I've been for a short run this afternoon and all is good.

Thanks again for all the input here.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amjenn For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-25-2018)

My Ride
    XL1200V Sportster
    I had similar problems on 2013 Sportster with wire wheels,it was loose spokes. Luckily I did not come off. The wheel was replaced under gaurantee but I`m a bit heavy with the right hand and wound up loosening the spokes again. I thought enough is enough and fitted a cast wheel and have`nt had any problems since. Just had a feel of the swing arm and if there is any play it is hardly noticable, certainly does`nt affect the handling.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou.Briand For This Useful Post:

Amjenn (10-31-2018), bluenose-1956 (11-01-2018)