My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iron 883

Stage 1 questions iron 883

Hi there, not been on for a while, hope all is good! Just wondering about getting a stage one on my 2017 sportster iron 883... I have some vand h twin slash slip ons already which give off a great sound, just looking for a bit more power now.
    Just wondering what the thoughts were on weather to get a fuelpak of whatever make or just getting it tuned by a garage? Also the cat in the standard pipes on the exhaust, is this going to cause any issue or is it just dealt with by the fuel management stuff?! Obviously ill be getting a different breather too!
    Any info is great, just lookin to not go too mental with cost so not sure what makes to go for etc....
    Cheers

Gill

Sportster iron 883 2017

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    This post has confused me.........not so much from the OP's point (sorry and all that).... I have V&H slip-ons on my 2007 Low, but I am buggered if I can find any signs of a Cat in the exhaust system.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    This post has confused me.........not so much from the OP's point (sorry and all that).... I have V&H slip-ons on my 2007 Low, but I am buggered if I can find any signs of a Cat in the exhaust system.
    Yeah sorry like, i just read that somewhere else and didn't know myself so thought id ask!no stupid questions and all that. It was justmainly to ask about fuel management box or a one time tune from someone with the hardware? Guess that depends on wether i want to adjust it often or not then eh? Think ive just answered myself....

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    The H D standard pipes have cats in them.

Unfortunately adjusting the mixture on an EFI bike is a whole industry that sees one tuner one bike. Regardless of whether you want to play once or many times every user has their own tuner as it links to the VIN of the bike.

There is a unit where you can purchase a license per bike but that is geared for shops generally and not single users.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-17-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    The H D standard pipes have cats in them.

Unfortunately adjusting the mixture on an EFI bike is a whole industry that sees one tuner one bike. Regardless of whether you want to play once or many times every user has their own tuner as it links to the VIN of the bike.

There is a unit where you can purchase a license per bike but that is geared for shops generally and not single users.
    O.k thanks for that, more of a helpful answer 👍

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Looks like only on Sportsters from 2014 onwards - fitted to both mufflers, apparently on the forward end of the baffles.

Some earlier injected models had a Cat in the front muffler only.

Which is why I don't have any Cats on mine, because I don't have OEM mufflers.
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 10-17-2018 at 02:06 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Looks like only on Sportsters from 2014 onwards - fitted to both mufflers, apparently on the forward end of the baffles.

Some earlier injected models had a Cat in the front muffler only.

Which is why I don't have any Cats on mine, because I don't have OEM mufflers.
    Aye, sound... I thought that maybe the case, just wasn't sure. Think ill go for a fuelpak and a nicer lookin breather, be nice to have a wee bit more power. Thanks for the responses��

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    In all fairness, both bikes I have owned I have stage 1'd... an 883 Iron and a 48.... I have not noticed in either any major increase in power, Im not saying it doesnt increase power but it just wasnt overwhelmingly noticable..... the one thing I did notice was that the bike ran better and fueled nicer, especially low speed around town riding..... and I fitted short shots that made the bike run worse, but have since gone back to Cobra slip ons that are much nicer. I use a V&H FP3 tuner both times...1 for each bike as they are not transferrable !! And they are very easy to use... I have never felt the need to "Autotune" as the bikes have run well enough on the map given for slip ons and air filter.
    I also rode with my buddy on many occasions who kept his 48 in standard set up... just slip ons and we were always fairly equal in speeds on acceleration...i.e I never pulled away from him with all my extra stage 1 power !!
    Last edited by wide; 10-19-2018 at 08:28 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wide For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-19-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Gwiles, welcome to the forum. Before buying anything check with both your insurer and your dealer about the implications of warranty and premium hike. Both were quite eye-openers for me. Harley-Davidson themselves have only one single brand of 'approved' remapping tool but some dealerships will still honour remaining warranty on their own merit if they themselves supply and tune your bike with a 'non approved' tuning/remapping tool.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!