My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Primary Chain Adjuster

What are the chances of the adjuster shoe / slipper wearing out, in under 11,000 miles if the oil has been regularly changed and the adjustment kept correct etc?

Thanks, AL

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    That seems like excessive wear to me AL, although it's not unknown for primary chain tensioner to wear prematurely.

Here are some pics of a Sportster chain tensioner that's only done 10000 miles, you can see the wear on the slipper.

If you need to buy a new chain adjuster assembly, the H-D part number is 40039-02C, it costs £23.76 from Jersey H-D but mainland dealerships will add 20% VAT to that price.

11000 miles is very low for an eleven year old motorcycle, 1000 a year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 10-08-2018 at 07:15 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (10-08-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Points taken Dave.......I was just wondering, because when I started the bike yesterday, I got a squeal from what seemed like the primary side. Oil is OK.

Sounded a bit like a slipping fan-belt, maybe not quite so loud.

OK, I hadn't used the bike for a few weeks and it was last used on a hot day for a very fast 150 mile run back home (I put it in the workshop soon after I got home).

I was a bit low on fuel as well, so it may have been the fuel pump (got some air in it perhaps).

Anyway, it went away fairly quickly - did about 30 miles and I didn't hear it again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-10-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Just checked adjustment - possibly a bit tight, but minimal - but even if it was, then the slipper would have worn to make it looser.

I don't think it was the cause of the noise.

Can't see how it would be starter sprag bearing either - I don't think the squeal would have gone away so quickly.

Weird.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-10-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Ok AL,

I remember in 1981, I had my Triumph T140E in for it's 5000 mile service at Halifax's official Triumph dealership (Cable Motors). On the following day after the service I set off to Manchester on the M62. I joined the M62 at Ainley Top (junction 24), by the time I got to Milnrow (junction 22) I could hear a loud rumbling coming from the motor so I turned round and headed back to Halifax. I took my Bonneville back to Cable Motors for them to have a look at it, the bike was only 5 months old so it was still covered by the 12 month manufacturers warranty.

The main bearings and primary chain tensioner were completely shot, there was a hole in the primary side crankcase which was pissing oil out. My engine was removed and stripped to it's bare crankcases, they were sent to Meriden to have a new primary side crankcase machined to match my timing side one. My Bonnie was off the road for three months.

I found out that the workshop foreman gave the servicing of my Bonneville to an apprentice, he tightened the primary chain too much and it put so much strain on my main bearings that they disintegrated, the primary chain went so slack that it wrecked it's tensioner which then knocked a hole in the crankcase. As you can imagine I was very disheartened, I kept the Bonnie until it was a year old and traded it in at Steve Rhodes Motorcycles in Bradford against a 1977 Triumph T160V Trident with a Norman Hyde 871cc big bore kit.

The Trident was fast but it was also thirsty, returning 35 miles from a gallon of 4-star fuel. It was also the best handling machine that I've ever owned, I kept the Trident for 18 months and traded her in at Eddy's Motorcycles in Leeds against a brand new Triumph TSX-4, a West Coast USA style cruiser. The TSX was the worst motorcycle I've ever owned, it started leaking oil after two weeks, the starter motor fired up the engine when it felt like it and the bike just kept on breaking down. The TSX was relegated to my second bike after my Laverda 1200 Mirage, I finally sold the TSX in the spring of 1985 to a motorcycle shop in Manchester for less than half the price I paid for it, but I was glad to see the back of it. That was the last Triumph I owned, I replaced it with a five year old Moto Guzzi V50 Mk II.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (10-11-2018)