Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1200 vs 883

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

1200 vs 883

Is there a massive difference between the 2 engine sizes?If so where does the biggest difference manifest.ie acceleration,cruisng,etc?As yet I've only considered the 1200 but adding the 883 would open up new opportunities.I have read owner reviews and as far as I can gather there seems to be a noticeable torque difference when motorway acceleration requires it.Thanks.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    IMHO The best combination is an 883 that has had a 1200 conversion. The marry up between the 1200 cylinders and the 883 gearbox which is different from the 1200 gearbox is according to those that have done it, quite amazing. As mentioned whilst not wildly different the 1200 packs more punch and can be dependent on owners riding style and capability a better machine. But if you are happy just pootling either machine will suit you just fine. There are posts on here that state the 883 is not quite perhaps as responsive as one would wish if you want to overtake when you are already at a reasonable pace.
    Last edited by K9F; 09-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

hogtied (09-29-2018), Johnnythefox (09-29-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    I used to have a 1200 48 and it ticked all my boxes apart from the fact I wanted to travel further afield without the 65-75 mile refuelling and my kids aged between 9 and 27 at the time wanted to ride pillion. I am just a tad over 6' and so are two of my kids it looked like we were on a mini moto. It had to go! Solo riding it was a great machine and I used to 'manage' the fuelling aspect better by refuelling to the gunnels each time at home.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I would say it depends on which year bikes are used to make the comparison as well.......My friend has a 16 year old 1200 but he reckons my 2007 883 pulls better, is quicker and much smoother.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Gettin'onabit,

Agree yours will be much better. Your mate's bike does not have a rubber mounted engine (post 2004) and will not be fuel injected (2007). Hence the smoothness and quicker uptake on your modern version.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Hi Gettin'onabit,

Agree yours will be much better. Your mate's bike does not have a rubber mounted engine (post 2004) and will not be fuel injected (2007). Hence the smoothness and quicker uptake on your modern version.
    Hi K9F - that's what I told my mate because I was fortunate (or not) to have owned an early Evo 883 which was nowhere near my 2007 883 - in fact it vibrated like a badly loaded washing machine so I sold it (I had already got rid of the wife anyway) and bought a Kawasaki ZXR750.

See what I did there?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

K9F (09-29-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    ...See what I did there?

I did indeed.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883N Iron 2018
    I sold it and bought a Kawasaki ZXR750.

If you want speed why did you not keep your Kawasaki?

If you are looking for speed rather than a tourer I would strongly recommend one of these,
    a Kawasaki Ninja ZX 1000 RR KRT,

I have one myself and nothing beats it or even gets close, only my SP perhaps.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX 1000 RR KRT .jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    If you want speed why did you not keep your Kawasaki?

If you are looking for speed rather than a tourer I would strongly recommend one of these,
    a Kawasaki Ninja ZX 1000 RR KRT,

I have one myself and nothing beats it or even gets close, only my SP perhaps.
    Where did I say I wanted speed?

If you do the maths and work out that a ZXR750 was released years ago as was the early EVO Sportster; it has no relevance to now.

Besides, before the EVO Sportster I bought a new 1000RX (which wasn't my first Kawasaki BTW - an HI fitted that role) which replaced my LeMans. I sold the ZXR750 because it was bloody uncomfortable so after that I bought a new ZX10 and then a new one of the first ZZR1100 (de-restricted). Also used a ZZR1100 engine in our outfit.

However, I recently sold my Ducati Supersport and bought the 2007 Sportster because at my age and health demand I slow down a lot.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883N Iron 2018
    Where did I say I wanted speed?

If you do the maths and work out that a ZXR750 was released years ago as was the early EVO Sportster; it has no relevance to now.

Besides, before the EVO Sportster I bought a new 1000RX (which wasn't my first Kawasaki BTW - an HI fitted that role) which replaced my LeMans. I sold the ZXR750 because it was bloody uncomfortable so after that I bought a new ZX10 and then a new one of the first ZZR1100 (de-restricted). Also used a ZZR1100 engine in our outfit.

However, I recently sold my Ducati Supersport and bought the 2007 Sportster because at my age and health demand I slow down a lot.
    The implication is in your post.