Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others

Fault in Candy Flake Fuel Tank

Hi

Even with the faults and problems with the candy flake, I have decided to keep my sportster and have a new tank fitted

I don't think I need to point out the fault in the picture below.

I have just had a call from HD who have asked me to take the bike in for the replacement fuel tank to be fitted.

I always enjoy the ride on the sportster so I am, keeping it..at least for now.

geezer

fault in candy flake .jpg
    Last edited by geezer; 09-26-2018 at 05:05 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to geezer For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (09-26-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Street Bob
    Good to see your getting it fixed at last

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Davie For This Useful Post:

geezer (09-26-2018)

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    I am really twitchy about having the fuel tank changed.

from memory every vehicle I have taken for work to be done on them they have returned with something that was not there before I left it, scratches dents reaction marks in the paint from someones hand, car body kits damaged on the ramps etc, etc. but the garage always without fail denies the damage they caused.

I have already told the HD dealership that I don't want the tank exchanged, for this reason, but they tell me I cannot cancel it.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Why complain so much about the dealership dragging their heels for five months and then say you don’t want them to change it when it arrives? Voice your concern and take before photos of your bike at the dealership in the presence of the Service Manager or swap the tank out yourself but be prepared not to have any warranty on your fuel system thereafter.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Following on from my last comment (28th September) above

I took my bike to the main dealership on Monday 1st October as they requested, to change my faulty fuel tank; this was the same main dealership who supplied my bike back in May.

I arranged my day around this and arranged to drop it off and get a lift home, I had a call from the dealer a few hours later who said that they had fitted the new replacement tank but there is some bad news too, the new tank had been chipped whilst fitting it, so they put the old tank back, so I got a lift back again to collect the bike.

The dealer said that they would call me later in the day to make arrangements for a new 'appointment' for another fuel tank to be delivered.

That was over a week ago and I have still heard nothing to date.

not impressed.
    Last edited by geezer; 10-09-2018 at 11:05 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to geezer For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-09-2018)

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I am really twitchy about having the fuel tank changed.
    Seems like you were right to be worried

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeds883 For This Useful Post:

geezer (10-09-2018)

My Ride
    just about two work day weeks have passed and I still had not heard from the main HD dealer about another replacement tank for my sportster after they had chipped the 'new' replacement one whilst they were fitting it and so put my old faulty tank back again,
    Are you with me so far?

So I rang them today, just in case they did not have my phone number written down correctly, this was one of the excuses they gave me a few weeks ago, but!, they rang me only the day before without any problems so cant understand why the problem now!

Anyway,when I rang them earlier today, they said they had not had the second replacement so far and could not tell me when they would get one.

I tried to help the problems and delay along by suggesting that they could fit a tank of a different colour, I just suggested white, if that helped but I was immediately slammed with, "it ain't that easy, there are only a certain number of tanks made for a certain number of bikes", (silly me)...so! no spare ones for damaged bikes, so when they do get a new tank for me will that be taken off of another new bike which will then be thrown away because there are no spare tanks for it, do I sound a bit sarcastic?

Anyway, so, the last thing they said was, they cant tell me if or when a new second green tank will arrive and a white one might come as they are contacting head office to see what they will say and then they will let me know.

it sounds like a bit of a mixed message to me which is convoluted and confusing, but I did make sure that they had the correct telephone number.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Having had to wait 5 months for the recent tank by my reckoning you may or may not have the next replacement arrive some time beginning of Spring just as the biking season begins to perk up again? Have you considered asking the dealership to get the chipped tank sent to a decent paint shop (perhaps like Wicked Coatings who did my paintwork) to get it sorted or changed to the shade and colour of your choice? It may be less frustrating and less hassle perhaps?

Have a look at some of their motorcycle work below.

https://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/motorcycles/
    Last edited by K9F; 10-13-2018 at 12:40 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Having had to wait 5 months for the recent tank by my reckoning you may or may not have the next replacement arrive some time beginning of Spring just as the biking season begins to perk up again? Have you considered asking the dealership to get the chipped tank sent to a decent paint shop (perhaps like Wicked Coatings who did my paintwork) to get it sorted or changed to the shade and colour of your choice? It may be less frustrating and less hassle perhaps?

Have a look at some of their motorcycle work below.

https://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/motorcycles/

Yes, I bought the bike last May, yes going on 6 months, and I am still waiting for the remaining problems to be resolved,

I did offer to take a different colour tank as I mentioned above and the reply I received which was less than shabby in my opinion.

the dreadful service I have received during these 6 months and the pathetic excuses I have had from them are nothing short of breathtaking, complacent and bewildering, but they took my money in full pretty damn quick.

Just pathetic, ..never again at this Plymouth Dealership.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to geezer For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-13-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    'Brokering a compromise' may be the key here? If you want a different colour tank they have a chipped one laying about, even if you offered to go half on the paintwork to completely change it you would have a tank of the colour you wish pretty damn quicker than another 5-6 months turnaround. As to whether they can fit it without buggering it up again remains to be seen, personally I would do the swapout myself at home as you would take more care as it's your bike.