Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Nice one Ross, quick answer: Get Divorced!

When I was married my washing machine was constantly breaking down and it cost a fortune in repair bills. I got divorced and it has never broken down since.

It goes to show what the averts say is true: "Washing machines live longer with 'cow gone!'"

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    If the primary case is separate from the gearbox and anyone thinks they can get as near as dammit a whole litre of oil in there without it piddling out of the derby cover hole or causing clutch slip..............well.........

Here is the evidence which shows the primary/clutch and gearbox compartments are interconnected - note the caged roller bearings without seals and the hole below the countershaft bearing.

I am now off to mend my washing machine with my spanners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 09-29-2018 at 02:51 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

K9F (09-29-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I notice that all the bollox has stopped....maybe people should think and research before they post - I say what I know, because I find out properly before I post.

Besides I have been around bikes and cars and washing machines since 1967 so I ought to know a bit.
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 09-29-2018 at 10:15 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

K9F (09-29-2018)

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    I notice that all the bollox has stopped....maybe people should think and research before they post - I say what I know, because I find out properly before I post.

Besides I have been around bikes and cars and washing machines since 1967 so I ought to know a bit.
    Which washing machine, did you have in 1967?

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post

There are seals on those shafts to prevent primary crankcase oil getting to the gearbox which lives inside the engine case. The lube you shove in the primary does not make its way to the engine casing to lubricate the gearbox, what you have shown confirms that the gearbox is not situated in the primary case and the scary thing for your washing machine is that you can't see this.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Sportster 5 speed gearbox, take off your primary cover and see if you can find it...

s-l1600.jpg

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    There is no oil pump in the primary case, the 900 odd mil that you fill to the bottom of the clutch plates, is wicked up by the fibrous clutch plates and flung around by the primary chain, if you believe that this unpressurised oil supply is what lubricates the gearbox, if you really think that, then your years of washing machine maintenance have been wasted.

The gearbox is lubricated by a pressurised oil supply from the oil tank and is the same supply that oils the engine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (09-30-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    If as some forum members think, the primary chain case and the gearbox are in some way linked, every time the bike is parked on it's jiffy stand the oil will run out of the gearbox into the primary case.

Or am I talking Bollox too?
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 09-30-2018 at 02:09 AM. Reason: o

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Johnnythefox (09-30-2018)

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    surely a logic would be, that by design, one oil compartment integrity would be fed by by one filler origin

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Hi, my bike is in my HD dealers for an interim small service and mot in a few days time; I’ll ask the Head service guy there to clarify.