Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    FFS, I have never heard such a load of bollox as in this thread.......There are quite plainly holes between the gearbox and the clutch (primary) case, but there are none between the engine crankcase and the gearbox/clutch.

'Transmission' in English or American means 'gearbox and clutch'.....and in cars include 'differential and half shafts' etc.

If other people think different, they shouldn't be owning a washing machine or a toaster, let alone bikes or spanners.

It doesn't take five minutes to find out either by looking at online documents; or asking the bike manufacturers; or by changing the bloody oil and looking at what is quite plainly visible.

As Sherlock Holmes says, 'you are are seeing but not observing'.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

Uncle Ed (09-29-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    I hate forums when we start throwing “crap” at each other. Here I am happy to learn and research; been on some technical US Forums and downloaded the engine oil lube system for 1200 evos. So I’m with you now on this engine oil is engine oil only; the gearbox is lubed through primary & clutch side. Here’s a detailed route for engine oil in a 1200;

Evolution Engine Oil Cycle

Oil Cycle:

Oil is gravity fed from the oil tank to the oil pump which sends oil up through a cavity in the filter housing to the oil filter.
    Filtered oil dumps into the filter adapter opening a check ball between 4-6 psi. (28-41 kN/m²) into the crankcase feed galley to the tappet blocks and lifters.
    Cross drilled passages intersect the main feed galley and carry oil to each lifter. Oil also enters an intersecting passage in the gearcase cover to the crankshaft area via a hole through the pinion gear shaft . Oil then travels to the right flywheel and routed through the crankpin thus lubricating the rod bearings.
    Oil flows up the holes in the pushrods to the rocker arms and shafts. Oil is supplied to the valve stems via drilled holes in the rocker arms.
    The oil then flows off the pushrod side of the heads through the pushrod covers into the gearcase, lubing the cams and is collected by the scavenge (return) side of the pump.
    Oil flows from the rocker area of the heads into the crankcase by way of passages in the heads and cylinders. Oil in the sump area of the crankcase is splashed onto the pistons, cylinder walls and flywheel components.
    Oil collected in the crankcase sump is passage-routed back to the scavenger side of the pump (via the 'ladle, half spoon, duck bill' protruding from the back of the pump to the case bottom3)) which is fed by the scavenging effect of the pump and pressure generated by the downward stroke of the pistons.
    Return oil fills a cavity above the pump's return gears which pumps the oil back into the oil tank. A small amount of oil flows from the feed galley in the right crankcase half through a restricted orifice and sprays oil onto the rear intake cam gear. 4)
    Last edited by steveket; 09-29-2018 at 10:08 AM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883N Iron 2018

My Ride

My Ride

My Ride
    Last edited by geezer; 09-29-2018 at 11:19 AM.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    There is an oil seal on the shaft from the rear wheel of the primary chain drive to prevent the primary crankcase oil getting into the engine casing which holds the gearbox.

The gearbox and engine are inside the right hand (engine) casing, the primary transmission and clutch are in the left hand (primary) casing.

Those that believe that the gearbox is inside the left hand primary casing should really consider whether they are the ones who ought to sell their tools and washing machines.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

K9F (09-29-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    There is an oil seal on the shaft from the rear wheel of the primary chain drive to prevent the primary crankcase oil getting into the engine casing which holds the gearbox.

The gearbox and engine are inside the right hand (engine) casing, the primary transmission and clutch are in the left hand (primary) casing.

Those that believe that the gearbox is inside the left hand primary casing should really consider whether they are the ones who ought to sell their tools and washing machines.

Now!. don't get nasty or personal......the postees above just want to learn and/or discuss,

from the pm's I receive we have all had enough from the other one.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Now!. don't get nasty or personal......the postees above just want to learn and/or discuss,

from the pm's I receive we have all had enough from the other one.
    That'll be me your bumping your gums about. Some people should read before pressing the commit button to post up a thread, be it about newton metres, bike lifts, issues with paintwork and tank swaps. To some the glass is half full - others half empty, your mud slinging is pathetic!

Get over it! I had, but you insist on dragging the mire!

Practice what you preach 'Preacher man!' Some people need to wipe their minges and 'man-up' this is a Harley Forum after all.
    Last edited by K9F; 09-29-2018 at 01:05 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    my wife has a 'washing machine', i bought it for her birthday a couple of years ago, when her mangle broke

what should i do

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

K9F (09-29-2018)