Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Actually it doesn't matter a toss whether the bike is on the stand or level.......once the drain down is finished, just pour 946ml** of the correct oil into the primary case via the derby cover opening. Or in other words leave about 10mm of oil in the bottom of the genuine HD oil bottle if you can't measure 946ml in a suitable container.

You also don't need to remove the left footpeg - there is only one awkward derby cover screw and you can do that with a cranked torx key or a suitable spanner ona torx bit (plus when the torx screws are out, replace them with decent domed head stainless allen screws).

**The HD manual states that after drain down to add the 946ml; so they are assuming some oil will still be coating the parts and it hasn't all come out, I guess.

I don't understand your comment about the clutch adjuster spring, though Johnny. I have no issues with any spring when changing my tranny oil.

AL

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettshubby View Post
    I have a Sportster tuning book by Allan Girdler which states that the 4 speed gears are lubed by the primary oil.
    Unfortunately it didn’t say anything about 5 speeds!
    Correct, my first Evo Sportster was a 4 speed box and it was the same as the 5 speed box. I have indicated how the gearbox (not the gearcase) is lubed.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettshubby View Post
    The transmission case oil should be checked with the bike vertical on level ground. The manual states that.
    Correct, but see my post No.51

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Actually it doesn't matter a toss whether the bike is on the stand or level.......once the drain down is finished, just pour 946ml** of the correct oil into the primary case via the derby cover opening. Or in other words leave about 10mm of oil in the bottom of the genuine HD oil bottle if you can't measure 946ml in a suitable container.

You also don't need to remove the left footpeg - there is only one awkward derby cover screw and you can do that with a cranked torx key or a suitable spanner ona torx bit (plus when the torx screws are out, replace them with decent domed head stainless allen screws).

**The HD manual states that after drain down to add the 946ml; so they are assuming some oil will still be coating the parts and it hasn't all come out, I guess.

I don't understand your comment about the clutch adjuster spring, though Johnny. I have no issues with any spring when changing my tranny oil.

AL

You are correct about cranked tools however when one doesn't have such things... undo one footpeg bracket bolt, loosen the other and drop the bracket out the way, no biggie.
    I have replaced the derby cover bolts with stainless allen screws and used lithium grease for anti galling.

I remarked upon the clutch adjuster spring because I would hate anyone to knock it off and have it fall inside the primary.

The genuine bottle has a graduated and marked measuring window on the bottle which is how I know that 0.9L went in :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

Gettin'onabit (10-06-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    You are correct about cranked tools however when one doesn't have such things... undo one footpeg bracket bolt, loosen the other and drop the bracket out the way, no biggie.
    I have replaced the derby cover bolts with stainless allen screws and used lithium grease for anti galling.

I remarked upon the clutch adjuster spring because I would hate anyone to knock it off and have it fall inside the primary.

The genuine bottle has a graduated and marked measuring window on the bottle which is how I know that 0.9L went in :-)
    Actually I didn't have a crank torx key either (well, I might have but I didn't think of trying it at the time) - I just used the correct size short torx bit in a pair of small molegrips!

In fairness though, I have got several allen keys which I deliberately shortened at the small end for this type of job!

My spring must be tight (or it has fallen off anyway)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog-Rider View Post
    I have 2007 1200, when I change/Drain my Oil In the Clutch side lol, I never remove the Derby cover to add the new Oil, I always remove the inspection cover and pour in the new fresh oil. I.e. If the manual states lets say 946 of Oil then that is what it needs, So why bother to remove the big Cover, Can someone explain to me why if the book states 946 why should I need to look at the level ????
    Exactly. But the original post wasn't about the actual level - it was all to do with which oil lubricated the gearbox.

I only removed the derby cover so I could see the clutch; adjuster and if there were openings between primary and gearbox compartments.

AL
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 10-16-2018 at 05:55 PM.