Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I've been to view this twice,it is supremely clean,mileage is quite high in comparison to others and the only issue I could find is that the footplates look like they've been tightened with a monkey wrench...what put me off..mmmm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263956918...84.m1436.l2649

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    I agree with this,

I was looking at a used 2013 Iron just for fun and noticed that a 'new' one was just a c£1000 more so I bought it,

prices can vary so much with used bikes.

With the right frame of mind and deal a used bike is not always the best choice and it can become more expensive than a new one proportionately speaking.

Before I bought my new Iron in 2011, I looked at a used 2010 Iron that Leeds H-D had in their showroom. The used one had 4000 miles on the clock, it was only £700 cheaper than a brand new one. I went for new.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

geezer (09-28-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    My Iron 2016 was two and a half years old when I bought it, 1700 miles on the clock, with FP3, Vance and Hines short shots and Screaming Eagle heavy breather fitted, price was £5,295 from an independent dealer - I didn't buy new :-)
    Last edited by Johnnythefox; 09-28-2018 at 09:14 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    28,000 miles is not a lot for a 15 year old bike, if the bike was kept as well as the owners home, it should be a good one.

there is no mention of how many keepers the bike has had or how long the present keeper has owned it.

the nut you mention may not be as bad as you think, but the front exhaust pipe does look to have had a lot more heat than the rear pipe, it would make me wonder why?

the problem with any used bike is its unknown history you just cannot be sure it has not been abused,

so, you must ask yourself, what are you buying? and would you buy it if the bike had this kind of abuse? how could you ever be sure?

Used bike abuse (1).jpeg

Used bike abuse (1).jpg

Used bike abuse (2).jpg

Used bike abuse (3).jpg

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    My Iron 2016 was two and a half years old when I bought it, 1700 miles on the clock, with FP3, Vance and Hines short shots and Screaming Eagle heavy breather fitted, price was £5,295 from an independent dealer - I didn't buy new :-)
    Any pictures of the bike?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    He is the third owner,there is some history and the red service key(?)He hasn't had it long preferring big Japs which is the reason given for the sale..also he was less than favourable in his description/diagnosis of the machine,and as a "new" buyer it kind of put me off a bit..Is the price ok and should I worry about the exhaust colouring?..thanks.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster
    I had £4k to spend on a Sportster at the start of this season. I bought a mint, near standard, low miles, one owner 2008 883 low for a few hundred over my budget. The bike was actually for my wife, its her first Harley and I didn't want to spend anymore incase she didn't like it. The prices for good bikes seem to bottom out around the £4k mark. My experience was that there are plenty of great low mileage examples of 'older' Sporties out there if you are not in a rush to buy and are prepared to travel. This should be a good time to buy and if you get the right bike it you won't lose out if you don't like it and decide to sell it on.

As it happens the wife loves hers and in 6 months of ownership has doubled its mileage with no issues. The only gripe was the poor standard shocks but a set of Hagons sorted that out. Good luck, I hope you find a good un'.

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieL View Post
    poor standard shocks but a set of Hagons sorted that out'.
    Ex_MosesTablets.jpg

If Moses had bought a Harley, that would have been scribed on a tablet

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 2001 Dyna FXDX
    Hi Hogtied, was in same place as you.

Had a few British bikes back in the day ('68 Bonneville T120, '72 Trident T150, '56 Norton Dominator etc) before a slight gap of 8 years (Married, Mortgaged, Divorced,) and after a quick fling with a BMW 900S bought a new Blackbird in 2001 (still have it). Had a Suzi DR 400 but that got totalled so bought a Versys 650 had that for 8 years - but totalled last month. Still rebuilding Blackbird (went under a Shogun - I was impressed with the design of the underside so bought one), so looking for a new commuter hack +.

I wanted something different and then I remembered back in '76 when the Bonneville was nicked (by a couple of so called 'friends') that one time a mate had given me a lift on an 883 Sportster - which I enjoyed, so after a bit of research and an argument with the bank manager started looking for a HD. I had a budget of £8k (so couldn't buy new) and wanted something over 1200cc - so not quite the same ballpark as you.

I did a lot of research and realised these beasts really hold their price. I was looking to buy from a dealer and began to realise that I would probably end up with something in reasonably good condition engine wise but a bit tatty - this would be OK as I needed something to get me through the winter and give it a makeover next year.

I don't bother road testing or trying out different bikes as they tend to speak to me - it's more on the guy selling it, back street bomb site spiv or shiny HD Dealer - I look something in between. I looked at one low mileage Dyna which was a bit tatty and they wanted £6.5k which I thought was a bit high but then found a 1200 sportster for £6.5k which was bang on the money in terms of year / colour - buzzed over to the dealer but it had been sold that morning, however he did have a 2001 Dyna 1450 (22k miles) with a stage one big bore 1550 conversion for £5k. It wasn't quite what I had in mind in terms of colour / style and there is a bit of rust here and there and a bit of missing paint...but it said 'buy me'. So I did. I don't bother with test drives as there isn't much to learn - it's a HD: if the seats a bit low you can change it. If the bars are too far away you can change them, if the wind blast without a screen is too much, add one. If the foot pedal placement isn't right...

Picked it up last Saturday - had an issue with a sticky alarm fob but cured that. Had a silly grin on the way to work today, just love rolling on the power in 5th, but I'm a bit embarrassed by the noise....

So I know where you are coming from - having British bikes in the past caused me to learn a bit about repairs and servicing, something which with the Jap bikes I left to my dealership (at £60 an hour).

The bars are too forward - the seats too low - the footrests are too far back: I have the telephone directory of accessories....

Mechanically it's a rugged (bomb proof?) air cooled twin - and doesn't smell of Windolene in the wet, sure it will need cosmetic work next Spring but looking forward to starting a new relationship with something that has soul.

You may not like the transition from Japanese to Americana: especially in traffic - it's not the sort of thing that you can chuck through rush hour traffic but it has presence. It's a different style of riding and a different philosophy - If you have read Persig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance you'll get it.

Good luck.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nike55 For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (10-01-2018), ChrisOfTheOT (10-02-2018), hogtied (10-01-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    Ex_MosesTablets.jpg

If Moses had bought a Harley, that would have been scribed on a tablet

Everyone knows that Moses rode a Triumph!

moses___triumph_by_jbobw.jpg