Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Considering purchase.

Hi all,apart from my introduction this is my first "real" post.I'm looking to purchase my first HD and am considering the 1200 sportster version.I'm looking for advice on what to look for and what to avoid,I thought I'd ask the experts hence joining the forum...

I'm an ex-enduro rider(not good but I enjoyed it),I've had the usual spattering of correct era bikes yamaha RD's,Honda CBR's,etc.Very similar to my friend who has just purchased a sportster and has convinced me this is the thing to do.At our age(55+) I think we're done with lean forward sports bikes and definately off-roading,I'm not saying HD's are slow but they appeal to a more relaxed riding approach IMO.

I've looked at a very clean 2003 Anniversary Sportster but am not sure,it is very,very clean the mileage is up at 25K having 2 previous owners.It's hard to find 2 exactly the same,unlike Yams and Hondas.They differ with chrome add-ons,different bars,seat,etc,etc..all making pricing a little bit more confusing.Is there any reason to buy an Anni' model over any other?

Sorry for the life story,any advice appreciated...thanks.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 2016 Fat Boy

Cool

If it were me, I would buy a low mileage almost new from my local dealer, but beat them down on price hard. To me older Harleys are overly expensive and poor value.

YMMV
    2016 Fatboy 103 HO, Vivid Black, Power Vision, Vance & Hines loud pipes, black/grey turn signals
    1997 Road King red (sold) Screamin' Eagle stage 1, additionally modified EFI for slow idle

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    If it were me, I'd forget about the Centenary XL1200 and look for a low mileage XR1200 or XR1200X, this now discontinued Sportster was fast for a Harley at around 122 mph, powerful for a Harley at 80 hp, and it handled and stopped better than any other Harley that's been manufactured. The XR1200 was produced from 2008 - 2010 and the XR1200X was produced from 2011 - 2013. The XR1200 was a Sports cruiser developed specially for the European market, low mileage examples can be had for between £5000 and £7000, the later and better sprung XR1200X version is between £6500 to £8500.

This customised 2009 XR1200 is for sale on eBay, it's Stage 1 tuned, has covered 13775 and is £6000. The seller is in Port Talbot.

s-l1600 (51).jpg s-l1600 - 6000.jpg

This 2011 XR1200X is also for sale on eBay, it's Stage 2 tuned, has covered 5000 miles and costs £7490. The seller is in Keighley, West Yorkshire.

s-l1600 (53).jpg s-l1600 (54).jpg

All 2004 - up Sportsters are rubber mounted, the earlier Sporties are vibratory, especially the 1200's.

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Quote Originally Posted by hogtied View Post
    Hi all,apart from my introduction this is my first "real" post.I'm looking to purchase my first HD and am considering the 1200 sportster version.I'm looking for advice on what to look for and what to avoid,I thought I'd ask the experts hence joining the forum...

I'm an ex-enduro rider(not good but I enjoyed it),I've had the usual spattering of correct era bikes yamaha RD's,Honda CBR's,etc.Very similar to my friend who has just purchased a sportster and has convinced me this is the thing to do.At our age(55+) I think we're done with lean forward sports bikes and definately off-roading,I'm not saying HD's are slow but they appeal to a more relaxed riding approach IMO.

I've looked at a very clean 2003 Anniversary Sportster but am not sure,it is very,very clean the mileage is up at 25K having 2 previous owners.It's hard to find 2 exactly the same,unlike Yams and Hondas.They differ with chrome add-ons,different bars,seat,etc,etc..all making pricing a little bit more confusing.Is there any reason to buy an Anni' model over any other?

Sorry for the life story,any advice appreciated...thanks.
    I’ve got a 105th anniversary and I love it. The bike gets compliments from friends and strangers all the time. There appears to have been more effort put into the paintwork compared to standard Sporty’s, mines got shiny flakes in the paintwork that make it sparkle in the sun....not sure if others have this? There’s also a plaque showing which number your bike was produced at the factory. There were only 3200 of mine built worldwide.

If you’re after a unique bike that not many people will have seen before, I’d buy one. I bought mine for its customisation potential, to make it even more unique and my creation. The chrome really accentuates the other parts of the bike, and with the bike being older, this makes it more economical to customise. They’re a piece of cake to work on, saving you money paying a mechanic, providing you’ve got a manual, workspace and the tools. I’d recommend Halford’s pro tool set with a life time guarantee, some cheap imperial spanners and Allen keys.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Best bet is go ride as many as possible and find one that suits your requirements and needs. The Sportster is a great machine but many people outgrow them after a year or so. I miss my old 48 dearly but it was absolutely no use for pillion and the fuelling stops irksome.

You may well find rather than 'looking to buy' test riding them a bike 'may sell itself to you?'

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I'll be honest,I'm budgeting to spend around 4k max.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hogtied For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (09-28-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by hogtied View Post
    I'll be honest,I'm budgeting to spend around 4k max.

Why not have a look at this 1997 XL1200S which is for sale on eBay at fixed price of £3900, I know it's at the top end of your budget but the 1200 Sportster Sport with it's dual plug heads is a fairly rapid motorcycle. The stock dual front stoppers are useful too. This machine has a recorded 12003 miles on the clock, low for a 21 year old bike and it looks more or less stock apart from the Le Pera seat. The eBay item number is :- 232936473505. The seller is in Dursley, Gloucestershire.

s-l1600 (55).jpg
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 09-28-2018 at 01:08 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

geezer (09-28-2018)

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Why not have a look at this 1997 XL1200S which is for sale on eBay at fixed price of £3900, I know it's at the top end of your budget but the 1200 Sportster Sport with it's dual plug heads is a fairly rapid motorcycle. The stock dual front stoppers are useful too. This machine has a recorded 12003 miles on the clock, low for a 21 year old bike and it looks more or less stock apart from the Le Pera seat. The eBay item number is :- 232936473505. The seller is in Dursley, Gloucestershire.

s-l1600 (55).jpg
    It also has 93 watchers on it at the moment and is listed 'Make an offer ...offer £3500

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Da...EAAOSwYNlbpTeD

My Ride
    2018 Sportster XL883N Iron & 2017 Breakout FXSB & Kawasaki ZX10 RR KRT & Honda Fireblade SP & others
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    If it were me, I would buy a low mileage almost new from my local dealer, but beat them down on price hard. To me older Harleys are overly expensive and poor value.

YMMV
    I agree with this,

I was looking at a used 2013 Iron just for fun and noticed that a 'new' one was just a c£1000 more so I bought it,

prices can vary so much with used bikes.

With the right frame of mind and deal a used bike is not always the best choice and it can become more expensive than a new one proportionately speaking.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to geezer For This Useful Post:

Dave Cawley (10-03-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    That is nice..thanks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hogtied For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (09-28-2018)