Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Heritage Softail, 883 Sportster

Hi From Jersey and Heritage help required

Hi All
    I am new on your UK forum but been on other Harley forums for years.

Had bikes since I was about 8 around the farm, and am now 50.

First Harley about 10 years ago, before that an assortments of various bikes, no fancy plastic rockets, usually 'old dogs' around the 550-750 cc range

First Harley was a Sportster, 883, now 1200, which I still have. Dented the tank one year when I dropped it, so fitted a bigger tank and did the 1200 barrel kit at the same time.

Got an 05 Heritage last year, August time, only 8000 miles, immaculate...but I 'broke it' in July ..About 70 miles outside Prague on the way to the 115 HD Rally.
    I will not bore you with the crash details on here , but I did already post on another US forum where I have been a member for some time.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/g...riendship.html

I am going to need some help in finding parts for my Heritage, used parts from the UK. The idiot that I am, I left the Fully Comp insured bike in the shed and took the third party bike! numpty ..so no insurance pay-out to fix the bike , and cash a bit tight to buy new HD parts

This being a 'Say Hi' intro post, I'll leave it there for now and search the forum first before asking too much about my Heritage parts requirements

and if you are ever in Jersey and are 'camping inclined' I have camp space at the farm, and undercover bike parking.
    https://en.campspace.com/space/neilp-s-microcamping

All the best
    Neil
    Last edited by NeilP; 09-24-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NeilP For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (09-24-2018)

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Welcome from Leeds, West Yorkshire. eBay would probably be your first port of call for second hand bits

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Hey Neil.

Sorry to read of your misfortune. i did that trick 30+ years ago, the thought of it could occurring again, is implanted in me.

do you have a plan for the assessing the frame integrity.

also, which aircraft type do you pilot.

regards

rwg

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale, also in West Yorkshire.

My Ride
    Hi Ross

Plan for the frame ..or any of it ..not yet.

Initial thought was to chop for spares, but it is not so bad. Motor has just over 11184 miles on it, totally factory, never been tuned or modded, not even exhaust or Power Commander. Stock motor, perfect condition, not a scratch on the casings. Tank also in perfect condition.

New frame from Harley is about £2400..ouch. Local dealer really helpful and will give me a damn good deal, and being in Jersey we are VAT free too, so that helps.

I see frames for sale on e-bay but mostly USA sales. If I could find a UK frame, that would be ideal.

I do have farm workshop, and mates who have done bike frame build before. So considering jigging it up myself with suitable steel frames, hydraulic power etc. But getting the correct dimensions ..ummm?

Take to Maidstone in UK... a good frame re-jigging place I have been told about . btu that requires the forks and front end to be rebuilt first as they re jig from wheel axle measurements. So I could do that, do up the front end, that will cost £1200 or so, only to then bring to UK for the Frame people to say frame cant be done.

So at the moment, not sure

Need to get it off its wheels and on a stand, get the tank off and front end apart, maybe turn down a bar on the lathe , say 3 foot long to fit up the headstock tube. That will give me an idea of ow far off the frame is twisted in relation to the rear wheel, if at all.

Got offers already for it as it is. I put it up for sale on local group and could get £3500 for it as it is. Tempted to take the money and run, but mates from local HOG have said , no way ..worth more in bits. But selling anything from Jersey, shipping over to UK adds a fair bit to costs.

Ideally find another dead Heritage with trashed motor, but otherwise good...

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    also, which aircraft type do you pilot.

rwg
    Well until I July I was on a PA-31 , Capital Air Ambo, Exeter based company , I am though based in Jersey. The old PA-31's are being retired, so by the time I get back should be on the Kingair

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    Well until I July I was on a PA-31 , Capital Air Ambo, Exeter based company , I am though based in Jersey. The old PA-31's are being retired, so by the time I get back should be on the Kingair
    in a previous life, i had a B200 AMEL. presumably, you will using the 200C's. ain't no fun managing a stretcher thru the standard door

My Ride
    Well the PA-31 much better for loading with its cargo door.

All the fleet are standard doors, with a Lifeport load system, which is a PITA from what I have seen and heard from others using it.

Believe that they are looking for a cargo variant, but they are rather like rocking horse s**t

http://www.capitalairambulance.co.uk...perience/fleet

are you still flying ? we need Crew in Jersey. Capt's or RH seat, client wants two crew ops

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Neil,

Used to travel often to the islands working as an ETO with Condor Ferries left about 12 months after they bought 'The Liability.'

Maybe of some use to you? If you register with the Harley-Davidson Portal below you can get access to all the part numbers for your bike. Maybe running the ones you need through a search engine may yield results? If nothing else you can run the numbers through Jersey Harley-Davidson to see availability and cost? As you are already aware your bike would make a fantastic custom project if that is the way you decide to go? Springer front end perhaps?

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/index

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    I'll try the Portal, thanks

The jersey site has many pages, but not all. Seem that some are missing. Try looking up the front wheel for a 05 Heritage Softail, ..it brings up the second page , but nto the first, part index number 18 onwards. Page for the first 18 is missing. I have e-mailed Tony about that, no reply yet.

Custom build, well, no , even more expense, this is to be a very cost limited rebuild,
    If I did any custom building it would be a full fairing up front and top box, rear box at the back, like the bigger tourers, and by the time I have spent that sort of money, probably easier and better to buy an old one ready to go.

They still have the 'Liability' still as reliable as ever.