My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 93 FXR LRC & 08 Heritage TC

ECM dealer replacement. Whats Involved and can an FP3 be used with the NEW unit ??

My 08 Heritage Softail Classic has been diagnosed with a faulty ECM. This is now on order and will be replaced by the dealership. There seems to be some speculation as to wheather my FP3 can be used with the NEW ECM unit once fitted. I know FP3`s cant be transferred bike to bike. But sureley a blanc ECM will have the bikes VIN number and security PIN reinstaled, and as a consequence, be 'seen' by the FP3 unit. Naturaly, the remapping process will have to begin again.

Am i correct in my assumption or am i to buy a new fuler ?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Hi I am not sure on this - but if it’s the (oddest) case that the new ECM is not programmed with your original VIN ; then effectively not only is your FP3 rendered unusable but perhaps more importantly you are changing the identity of the bike. The proper original VIN is important to the HD dealer-network, the DVLA and your insurer! If this is changed then these bodies need to be advised of this and this can be tricky to do too. So my guess is that somehow this new ECM is programmed with your original VIN as it’s instslled or it may read your VIN on installation automatically. Sorry for the “guessing” and I’m sure someone will have experienced s new ECM install and advise you better. I just think it blinking strange that you lose your original VIN, I’m not sure I’d be happy with this; eg. would you buy a used machine that appeared to have had a few different VINs !!! (each MOT Cert records the VIN)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 93 FXR LRC & 08 Heritage TC
    Hi SteveKet, you have outlined my own concernes here. Whatch this space !.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Yep, thanks. Hopefully someone in the know will advise. Maybe you could call another bigger dealer and make an enquiry about replacing the ECM...