My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Xl Low 883

Not running right

Good morning!

My Sportster seems to every now and then splutter and miss... mostly when cruising... the needle on my speedo keeps dropping when this happens then kicking back in then itís ok... it started happening a week or so ago... (not long after I bought it) Iíve changed the sparks checked the leads etc... itís a 2009 but only done 7K... Iím new to Harley-Davidson so donít really know where to start...

Cheers !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildman For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (08-01-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Good morning!

My Sportster seems to every now and then splutter and miss... mostly when cruising... the needle on my speedo keeps dropping when this happens then kicking back in then itís ok... it started happening a week or so ago... (not long after I bought it) Iíve changed the sparks checked the leads etc... itís a 2009 but only done 7K... Iím new to Harley-Davidson so donít really know where to start...

Cheers !!
    Hoping it really is this simple for you... Few weeks ago while I had my bike serviced at Harley they managed to just lift one of my spark leads enough to create an event similar to what you described.. I found that when I pushed my lead on there was what I can only describe as a little pop when it connected properly.. Just a simple thing but it caused me a massive amount of bother as I nearly broke down on the motorway due to it...

Just make sure the leads are pushed onto and are fitting correctly onto the spark plug..

Simple things before the costly things first...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 08-01-2018 at 03:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Wildman (08-02-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Xl Low 883
    Hey...

Thank you for your reply... I have recently replaced my sparks... I think I might change my leads next see if that helps. Like you said simple before costly.

My Ride
    XL1200C
    Hi Wildman, I don’t know how much riding experience you’ve got, but with Harley’s you need to work them a little (here’s me talking, only passed my test last year, lol) I’ve found that I need to keep a bit of throttle, if I close the throttle when rolling (in gear) on idle the engine seems not to like it. I’d look to see what tuning has been done to your bike, exhaust, air filter etc.

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    Hi Wildman, I don’t know how much riding experience you’ve got, but with Harley’s you need to work them a little (here’s me talking, only passed my test last year, lol) I’ve found that I need to keep a bit of throttle, if I close the throttle when rolling (in gear) on idle the engine seems not to like it. I’d look to see what tuning has been done to your bike, exhaust, air filter etc.

Why do you need to 'work' a Harley a little? if you have to do so then something is not right.

My Ride
    1999 Super Glide
    All modern bikes are meant to be ridden, in the good ol days of bikes you carried spanners and screwdrivers for such breakdowns occurred. Two stroke were notorious for whiskering plugs.
    Modern plugs leads have carbon cores unlike the old leads that had solid copper wire, the carbon can break down causing misfires and bad running. The 'pop' as you push the plug cap home is the semi locking of the cap to the plug. If you look at a plug id may have an aluminium (the really old top were made of brass) top to it, it starts off a slightly smaller diameter gradually gets bigger then get smaller again, that where it goes 'pop'. Or there is just a thread on the top of the plug, the plug cap that fits this type just grabs the thread.
    God i'm showing my age with some of these comments.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hawkeyefxr For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (08-24-2018)