Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Janno View Post
    Thanks Dod for the Youtube link Iíll have a look, Regards Janno
    Good luck....going by what you saying your getting power....lights are all working...front lever is working brake light but back brake light not operational? You would kinda guess it has to be the switch now......that link on YouTube shows you to shot out the connectors to take the switch out of the equation and if it works then thatís the answer...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-16-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Hi Dod, Thought Iíd update you re the rear brake switch, I ripped into it today determined to sort it out onc3 and for all!!, removed battery box, fuel tank and pulled out the wiring loom, cut into the loom outer sheathing and followed the orange/white wire back to find where Iíd lost the power, amazed what I found not only a cut/split wire in the loom but bodged with misfit electrical connectors that were separated and taped up ffs...why god knows??......
    Made good the joint now Iíve got power down the orange/white feed wire to the rear brake switch, brake ligh5 now works when I short out the switch (new one on order), hopefully sorted then....phew I donít want another job like this one......photos enclosed....and thank you Dod for your interest and help much appreciated JannoDB13592D-13C1-4947-90A2-87C124AB364A.jpgD39F83E4-CA9A-461C-A023-450FBE71556D.jpg

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Janno View Post
    Hi Dod, Thought Iíd update you re the rear brake switch, I ripped into it today determined to sort it out onc3 and for all!!, removed battery box, fuel tank and pulled out the wiring loom, cut into the loom outer sheathing and followed the orange/white wire back to find where Iíd lost the power, amazed what I found not only a cut/split wire in the loom but bodged with misfit electrical connectors that were separated and taped up ffs...why god knows??......
    Made good the joint now Iíve got power down the orange/white feed wire to the rear brake switch, brake ligh5 now works when I short out the switch (new one on order), hopefully sorted then....phew I donít want another job like this one......photos enclosed....and thank you Dod for your interest and help much appreciated JannoDB13592D-13C1-4947-90A2-87C124AB364A.jpgD39F83E4-CA9A-461C-A023-450FBE71556D.jpg
    If you got power to the switch and the only way the back brake lightworks is by shorting the switch out then that has to be your final piece of the jigsaw...

Thought you needed a sparky to fix your bike??? Looks like you have done it all by yourself...

Well done... Chuffed for you fella

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-17-2018)

My Ride
    Speaking to someone who has a 1200 sportster Janno and they mentioned they have had issues with the back brake switch going on their bike...they reckoned water ingress was getting into the switch due to its position...I donít know if you use it or not but a few of us here use acf50 which might be a good idea to spray over it when you fit your new one...plus when you mentioned about your cables being cut and resoldered etc I wondered if itís because of something else they said...some 1200 sportsters wiring looms were a bit tight when being fitted and because of the strain on them over a period of time the copper inside would fray and cause a break...I wonder if your bike was one of those?? Just food for thought..

As I say I am not a sportster owner but this person mentioned this to me and I thought it might give you some more answers to your bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk