Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh

Harley Electrician needed in Nottingham

Hi guys, once again Iím after some help, I appear to have some ongoing electrical gremlins on my HD Sportster 1200 year 2000 ( since I connected the battery up the wrong way around Iíve never done this before in 50 years....what a plonker). Can any of you guys on the forum recommend a good motorcycle electrician ( preferably skilled in Harleys) in the Nottinghamshire area, Iím obviously willing to pay someone to come over and get to the bottom of this problem.
    Many thanks in anticipation of any help from Janno

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE

Quote Originally Posted by Janno View Post
    Hi guys, once again Iím after some help, I appear to have some ongoing electrical gremlins on my HD Sportster 1200 year 2000 ( since I connected the battery up the wrong way around Iíve never done this before in 50 years....what a plonker). Can any of you guys on the forum recommend a good motorcycle electrician ( preferably skilled in Harleys) in the Nottinghamshire area, Iím obviously willing to pay someone to come over and get to the bottom of this problem.
    Many thanks in anticipation of any help from Janno
    Whatís the problem? Have you checked your fuse box?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 07-15-2018 at 11:10 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-16-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Hi Dod, I’ve replaced the Voltage regulator, circuit breaker,battery, all fuses all ok, stripped and tested the ignition switch, not tried starting it yet as I’ve got the carb in bits overhauling it and new cables to boot ( the starter spins ok), everything appears on the surface to be working however the rear brake light switch doesn’t and I can’t get a feed down the orange and white cable to work it, the switch seems to test out ok but with the ignition on the switch housing becomes live?? I’m not the best auto electrician however it’s doing my head in.
    Ps thank you for your help now and on previous posts.......much appreciated Janno

My Ride
    Hi Dod, Iíve replaced the Voltage regulator, circuit breaker,battery, all fuses all ok, stripped and tested the ignition switch, not tried starting it yet as Iíve got the carb in bits overhauling it and new cables to boot ( the starter spins ok), everything appears on the surface to be working however the rear brake light switch doesnít and I canít get a feed down the orange and white cable to work it, the switch seems to test out ok but with the ignition on the switch housing becomes live?? Iím not the best auto electrician however itís doing my head in.
    Ps thank you for your help now and on previous posts.......much appreciated Janno
    Is it led rear tail lights you have?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Found this info...

After taking a closer look, it appears the brake light circuit goes through the accessories fuse.

The brake lights (both front and rear) run through a switch and the switch is provided with power by the orange/white wire which comes from the accessories position on the fuse block.

FYI....If that fuse is bad....your turn signals and horn will also not work as those switches are also provided with power by the same source.

The connector for the rear brake light is under the seat also...make sure you didn't pinch a red/yellow wire anywhere.

Also...if your running light is not working either than you should check the ground wire for that light cause that would control both the running and brake light.

Food for thought??

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-16-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Hi Dod, thanks for looking into this for me, to summarise everything is working fine, all lights, indicators, horn, brake light at rear works on
    the front brake lever, the orange/white cable that feeds the rear light has power just fine, it is a take off from the orange/white rear light supply I believe that feeds the rear brake pressure switch but I get no power from it at this point (if all that makes sense), It would make sense if the orange/white cable had got trapped somewhere by a previous owner but I just can’t visually see it, still confused.com, thanks Janno

My Ride
    Hi Dod, thanks for looking into this for me, to summarise everything is working fine, all lights, indicators, horn, brake light at rear works on
    the front brake lever, the orange/white cable that feeds the rear light has power just fine, it is a take off from the orange/white rear light supply I believe that feeds the rear brake pressure switch but I get no power from it at this point (if all that makes sense), It would make sense if the orange/white cable had got trapped somewhere by a previous owner but I just canít visually see it, still confused.com, thanks Janno
    So brake light at rear works ok but running light at rear doesnít?

If thatís the case, you have checked that the bulb is a dual element bulb?? It could just be a build thatís needing replaced?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Hi Dod, sorry I didn’t explain very well, the running light at the rear (and front) works fine and the rear brake light works properly on the front brake lever the problem is with the feed (orange and white wire) to the rear brake pressure switch. The switch on its own works fine when checking continuity, I just seem to have lost the power to the brake switch however I have a live feed down the red and yellow wire and brake switch body with the ign on??..gonna rip into it tomorrow and follow the wires back to the fuse box.....Janno

My Ride

Hi Dod, sorry I didnít explain very well, the running light at the rear (and front) works fine and the rear brake light works properly on the front brake lever the problem is with the feed (orange and white wire) to the rear brake pressure switch. The switch on its own works fine when checking continuity, I just seem to have lost the power to the brake switch however I have a live feed down the red and yellow wire and brake switch body with the ign on??..gonna rip into it tomorrow and follow the wires back to the fuse box.....Janno
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIzh8BV3CE

the front brake uses a mechanical on/off switch with the handle. The foot brake has a hydraulic switch off the brake line from the cylinder for your foot brake. Follow the brake line from the foot brake cylinder back about a foot or so. You'll see the switch with two wires attached. (*Note, if any of the wires are off-there's your problem.) When you press the foot brake, it closes the hydraulic switch and allows current to pass. You can test it by taking the two wires off and short them together with a jumper. With the jumper in place and the key on, the brake light should come on proving the hydraulic switch is the problem.

Last edited by Dod; 07-16-2018 at 11:02 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-16-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Thanks Dod for the Youtube link I’ll have a look, Regards Janno