My Ride
    2016 Iron 883

Spark Plugs for Iron 883 2016

Could some one tell me the spark plug socket size for my Iron 883 2016 is it 13/16" and will my 21mm one do the job?

any ideas suitable plugs/numbers? I'm thinking NGK DPR7EA-9 (5129) cos cheap.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    Could some one tell me the spark plug socket size for my Iron 883 2016 is it 13/16" and will my 21mm one do the job?

any ideas suitable plugs/numbers? I'm thinking NGK DPR7EA-9 (5129) cos cheap.
    Ngk dpr7ea-9 is the plug to use apparently...you will also find a dcpr7 eix plug but I found someone say that was the cause of an error code on his bike when he hit 70mph..couldn’t find bad comments about the plug your choosing his bike was an 02 roadking and it was the engine checklight...

http://ngk-sparkplugs.com/dpr7ea9-p-2581.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

Johnnythefox (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    many thanks for confirming the NGK Number.

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    On the ngk website the specs show hex size: 18mm. I would say 21mm is not going to work.

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9727

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Ngk dpr7ea-9 is the plug to use apparently...you will also find a dcpr7 eix plug but I found someone say that was the cause of an error code on his bike when he hit 70mph..couldn’t find bad comments about the plug your choosing his bike was an 02 roadking and it was the engine checklight...

http://ngk-sparkplugs.com/dpr7ea9-p-2581.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think that they use the same plug as the 1200's. I use the NGK DCPR 7EIX in mine and have never had a fault code thrown. The standard plugs failed on mine at 200 miles! (well one of them).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    I think that they use the same plug as the 1200's. I use the NGK DCPR 7EIX in mine and have never had a fault code thrown. The standard plugs failed on mine at 200 miles! (well one of them).
    Both plugs are now 1 each for failure ratings then... The plug you have is rated better and costs more but as I noted one guy did have an issue with them and like yourself I thought I best mention it..

It's like most things.. Nothing is going to be 100%

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    Both plugs are now 1 each for failure ratings then... The plug you have is rated better and costs more but as I noted one guy did have an issue with them and like yourself I thought I best mention it..

It's like most things.. Nothing is going to be 100%

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    No, that's right. I don't think it's so much of an issue with the plug rating as such (both offer similar heat ratings) but may be more a reflection on plug manufacturing consistency. Some engines are harder on plugs than others....I remember having to replace my BMW R100RT plugs just about every 5K miles like clockwork as they broke down very quickly in that engine, despite the correct ones being used. No electrickery computer sensors to throw a code back then...you carried spare plugs and leads in case the inevitable happened. It was just part of the ownership ritual.