Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Ride
    Ground up custom built bike, Harley sofyail 1340 custom built bike and a KTM Superduke 990

Help with donor bike identity

Hi,
    I bought a custom Harley softail recently which was reportedly built by Battistinis of Bournemouth back in 91. The bike has been stood in a garage for the last 9 years so i am going through it to get it roadworthy.

The problem I have, not having owned a Harley before, is that I don't know what the donor bike was, other than it was one of the softail models. The logbook just has it as a Harley and a historic vehicle. This causes me problems when I come to buy any of the standard Harley parts that are still on the bike. The engine I know is an Evo 1340 but that's about all I know. Can anyone give me any idea what the donor bike might be and what year range that would be too?

One issue I'm trying to solve is concerning the headstock bearings/forks. I can't seem to identify whether the forks and yokes are from a stock Harley model or are custom items. Anyone got any idea?

I ask because the top yoke pivot bolt, which looks to be a strange looking stubby 5/8" Allen bolt, seems to be missing a washer on which to bear down on, in order to torque the top yoke down onto the castle nut that adjusts the bearing play. At least thats how I presume the top yoke set up should work in order to prevent the castle nut undoing, which is what has happened. On most bikes the yoke stem tube is a hollow tube pressed into the bottom yoke but on my setup the stem 'tube' is a solid turned bar with a round boss at the bottom end that sits snugly in a pocket underneath the bottom yoke (and free to spin round in the yoke). The stem boss has a hex socket in it presumably to hold the stem still while tightening the big short allen bolt in the top yoke. So effectively the only thing preventing the forks twisting is the axle and the two pinch bolts in both yokes. The top yoke does not pinch up onto the stem. Again, is this how some Harley forks are engineered?

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
    1.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mannyroad For This Useful Post:

Alec L (07-11-2018), Face (07-12-2018)