Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Matteo,
    There are only two fenders in their range which are TUV approved for pillion carriage. I did not wish to relinquish the possibility of carrying pillion so was limited in choice but they both looked really great. As you may be aware TUV regulations are very much more stringent with regards to any vehicular modifications and any vehicular modification must be signed off by an approved TUV Technician before the vehicle can be used. Basically if the item is already TUV approved you know it will be fit in form and function.
    They do indeed offer Thunderbike seats also at a premium. I paid 139 Euros for a fibreglass seat base and fixtures and fittings for my fender. I preferred the idea of taking both the fender, original seat and seat base to a reputable motorcycle seat manufacturer and discussing my needs face to face and seeing prospective materials I am going to use in the flesh rather than by e-mail or phone. I also do not have far to go in the event of issues or if I am not 100% satisfied with the end result. It could be reworked if necessary with ease.
    Front forks are already USD ones with twin discs up front. I see no reason to change the setup at the moment. The air ride system is totally adjustable for height, rebound and damping at the toggle of one of the two switches, I am sure with practice I will get familiar with the system and be able to adjust whilst on the go.
    I think this may be it with regards to modifications. I have my eye on another bike, the baby KTM would go for it's larger brother the Scalpel 790.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Work commenced today with an early booking with a reputable and highly recommended tyre fitter. 260 Metzeler fitted.

Whilst the size is tight it fits and that is a big as you can go without some serious further modifications. There is not a lot between the belt and the side of the tyre but enough.

Got home and commenced the strip down with the removal of the rear fender. (Figured out how the side number plate mount is fitted on a Breakout. If Matteo sees this rear fender removal is how you affix the side number plate mount. It doesn't take long two connectors and four bolts. The left hand strut then needs removing from the fender by another four bolts, the supply cable for the mount runs along a channel in the left hand strut. A single torx bolt removal will undo the indicator so you can affix the mount to the indicator stalk base.)

Where the four fender strut bolts mount to the frame there are four square lugs, two each side just discernible above. These lugs need to be ground flat. That'll be my next job.

Thunderbike have included within the kit the suspension bump stop. I hope not to be fitting this as the Shotgun Shock I ordered from America is now in the UK awaiting Customs clearance.
    Didn't want the wheel balanced so got home, took out the Schraeder valve and stuck 3 ounces out of the 4 ounce bag of balancing beads in through the valve stem and spent ages with a double barrelled foot pump re-inflating to preferred pressure. Job done for today.

Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2018 at 08:51 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Spurtle (07-14-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Job wasn't done for today after all. I need to get the fender to fit so it can go for paint. As I am on-call at work next week and then off to Turkey on my 'hollybobs' I want to get the fender and seat done so I can collect the finished articles upon my return from holidays. I knew the fender lugs had to come off so masked up and got the grinder out. Takes a brave man I must say to take a grinder to the frame of a £20k plus bike.

Fender lugs below.

Masked off.

Set to it. Thought I was there with this progress but on offering up the fender the bugger still wouldn't fit, they had to be ground off further still. Finished them off with a metal sanding disk in the end.

Finally the fender fitted when it was offered up and I can get shot of it and concentrate on sorting out the connectivity of the built in LEDs and the fitting of the Shotgun Shock when it arrives.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

911teo (07-16-2018), Spurtle (07-14-2018)

My Ride
    '16 883 Iron
    Aye, that must've been a bit of a scary moment using the grinder but it is looking really good.
    Will be following your progress with interest, so thanks for posting the pictures.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Little progress today apart from fitting the hardware brackets to the seat base, lining it up on the bike, marking up, drilled and fitted a rivnut to the fender. Also drilled a hole for the wiring access to the rear LEDs. Decided to grind off the frame lugs a bit more to make the fender an easier fit. Also decided to whip off the two piece belt guard to have carbon dipped as well. All boxed up in the car and off to the paintshop tomorrow.

Will address the priming and painting of the ground off lugs this week and sort out the LEDs to get them up and working. Shotgun Shock should arrive this week. Mate has offered me the loan of his lift to get the bike off the ground to facilitate swap out and compressor fit. I was going to buy a lift but truth be told it would only be used the once I think and thereafter take up valuable space in an already chocked garage?
    Last edited by K9F; 07-15-2018 at 08:17 PM.

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout
    Hey Mal

looking good!!!!

I did the side plate conversion a couple of weeks ago.... As you said it is quite straight forward once you remove the fender.
    With mine I had to run a bolt through the rear axle then used the belt cover mounting place as the other support.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Hi Matteo,

I will have to switch to an axle mounted side number plate holder as well because the fender struts are gone on mine as is the OEM plate holder. I bought a Cult Werks one from A R Harley and Sons in Blackpool.

Got fender and two-piece belt guard dropped off today to Wicked Coatings for them to work their magic on. Got home after work and decided to prime the fender lugs in preparation for top coat. Flushed and brushed the threads out to get the crud out from grinding, cleaned the threads of the old bolts and smeared a bit of copper slip on them and wound them in to prevent paint ingress. This is just a rust prevention exercise as the lugs will be covered up by the new fender. Three coats later, rather than wait for the primer to dry for 24 hours and then cut back the edges I find it much easier by leaving it an hour and using cotton buds soaked in isopropyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol wipes to clear off the excess and smooth the edges for top coat. That way you can leave the minimum amount of primer so it's easier to blow over and blend in.

Last edited by K9F; 07-16-2018 at 09:22 PM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Received a costing from the seat makers in Andover. Price, material foam and gel inserts agreed upon the seat base will be dropped off next week Saturday to be sorted. Below are some examples and pricing of their work.

http://www.herbertellisonupholstery....ike-seats.html

Whilst the ground off lugs will not be seen I needed to appease my OCD. The CVO Scorched Apple was never going to be matched perfectly without spending a shit load of money. I downloaded an App to my phone which analyses the paint pixels and it came up with the colour ‘Indian Red.’ Off to Halfords and spent half an hour trawling the red paint looking for a close match. Discovered an old Rover paint called ‘Starfire Red’ what’s more it is also pearlescent like the CVO so natural light will also disguise any discrepancy. Lugs still requires two coats of clear lacquer applying but bugger me it’s a close match you’ll have to agree and turned out better than expected.

Also sorted out the LED wiring roughly with a terminal block to get everything up and working. Will now be able to make the loom up. Tape across back tyre is where I have marked where the fender goes to when fitted so I can get wiring lengths right. De-pinned the old Deutsch connectors off the old fender as I have the extract tool, new sockets and crimping tool for them and am fitting new sockets and using the original connectors on the new loom.

Last edited by K9F; 07-17-2018 at 09:47 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

rosswg (Yesterday)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Marathon session today and got lots cracked off. Started work at 07:15 and got text from 'Better Half' to say parcel had arrived from America. Finished off and got home at 10:00. Set to fitting Shotgun Shock. Had to pay Duty couple of days ago but it was nowhere near what was expected so it was a good start.

Spent an hour on-line and reading the instructions.

Top layer contained the compressor, diverter valve, operating button assembly and associated harnesses to hook everything up. Also a free Shotgun T-Shirt was laying on top.

Lower level contained the business end and an in-line air filter.

Will not go into detail of some of the extremely precarious conditions the bike had to be placed for underside access, but a GRP pallet was needed along with 6 large rubber chocks. Needless to say was extremely relieved when for the last time she was lowered and taken completely off the lift.

Out with the old two individual Showa units.

In with the new complete double unit.

Compressor was a tight squeeze but impressive and compact.

Provisionally hooked everything up electrically to functionally test it. Worked a treat so took it off the lift and tidied up the cables. Extremely satisfying but didn't finish until 21:05 when last tool was wiped down and laid away.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Face (Yesterday), Johnnythefox (Yesterday), rosswg (Yesterday)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Got the Cult Werks side number plate holder fitted today between callouts to work that I could have done without. Never mind 'Double Time Sunday.' The Cult Werks mount I must say is another top quality piece of kit but at a price, more in fact than the OEM Harley one was. With a little ingenuity managed to affix the original axle nut cover that came with the bike on the axle nut post fit. The replacement axle nut supplied with the Cult Werks was smaller than the original nut but the same M25 thread the original nut sat in a cup washer which was not needed with the new fittings. The grub screw that held the cap onto the cup washer was not long enough to reach the new nut flats. Got a stainless M5 bolt and cut it down, span the cup washer round so it sits over the nut rather than under and drilled a corresponding hole in the cup washer to allow the bolt to pass through and the bolt now reaches one of the flats on the nut to secure and the cup washer keeps the cover central. Another job done. Won't be much happening now for a while as I need to get seat away for manufacture and paint works are arranged to be collected mid August.

For any number plate 'aficionados' the black and white is just a show plate of course. The real deal the size of a barn door is stuck on my garage door with about another dozen other plates from past and present vehicles with the suction cups ready to head out on the public highway. Cheque's in the post!

Last edited by K9F; Yesterday at 06:52 PM.