Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT

CVO Breakout Modifications.

Having attended the Hamburg Harley-Festival recently and being nearly out of warranty I returned full of inspiration and with a list of 'must haves' that truth be told I don't really need. Nevertheless money has been spent and some parts have already arrived. I will post progress as it happens for anyone remotely interested. Prior to the trip to Hamburg I had to ease off riding her for a while as I wanted to conserve what remaining tread I had on the rear tyre for the trip. I could see no value in replacing the tyre prior to the trip just to grind off a centreline flat spot on 1,600 miles of motorways and Autobahns. My tyre is now shot and the project begins Saturday with the fitment of a Metzeler 880 260X40X18 tyre which will fit without impinging on the drivebelt etc.

Thunderbike rear fender arrived today together with the matching fibreglass seat base for the manufacture of a custom seat. Whilst expensive the quality of the workmanship and the thickness of the steel used is superb as with most German engineering. This is one of the few Thunderbike rear fenders that is TUV approved for pillion carrying. As the rear fender struts will be gone this is why the steel is so thick. Even the LEDs have small steel housings which have been welded in situ.

I need to get the rear tyre fitted, remove the existing fender and offer this one up to ensure it fits prior to priming and carbon dipping.

Incorporated rear LED indicators and stop tail light were an option with this fender and one I couldn't resist. Hopefully I will not be needing a 'load equaliser' as I am replacing existing LEDS for aftermarket ones.

Fixtures and fittings together with the LEDS.

Fibreglass seat base from which the seat will be built upon.

Cult Werks side number plate axle mount was delivered too. My OEM one which is mounted on the rear left hand strut will be gone with the rest of the fender.

Shotgun shock air ride system is on it's way. That too was costly but the lifetime warranty over a mere two year warranty supplied with other air ride contenders such as Thunderbike and Arnotts was worth it. Also Shotgun have been in the game for over 30 years and is a proven and popular product in the Harley fraternity.

Current view of rear end of bike is below. With the exception of the Shotgun Shock which will be concealed anyway should the need ever arise I estimate that in 30 minutes or so the bike could be rolled back to as it appears in the photo with the undoing and refitting/connecting four bolts and four electrical connectors.

Last edited by K9F; 07-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

911teo (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Good luck with that conversion, I feel the excitement building for you and with you. Who might you use for the paint work? I just had a tank painted and was very pleased if you need a paint shop. I think you're in Hants and I'm in West Sussex.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

K9F (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Thanks Steve, I am going to use a process called hydrographic 3d carbon/kevlar dipping by a company local to myself called Wicked Coatings. They featured on Wheeler Dealers some time ago and I have seen some of their work. Dependent on how it fairs will depend if I match the front fender and belly pan. Below is an example of their finish on a BMW motorcycle fuel tank.

https://www.wickedcoatings.co.uk/cat...-tanks/page/2/

Last edited by K9F; 07-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    That looks impressive. It’s a brave step to go this new route rather than paint. Hope you can let us know how it goes and how satisfied you are. The YouTuber Delboy’s Garage has a plasti-dip comparison of two makers but this just aerosol diy level not pro level such as yours. Good luck - just attached my newly painted peanut tank with “old-skool” graphic for my Forty Eight.
    3F7FD82E-2882-489E-8CF6-F2487D492C97.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

K9F (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Seen some nice custom breakouts in Prague. There was also some Thunderbike builds on various stalls, as well as in the custom show.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    was in the Thunderbike shop yesterday. very interesting and informative. i could have spent many hours, looking at what they had on show, even it was mainly softail based.
    we had an interesting conversation on exhausts, but that would be for another thread

they were able to put me in contact with a third party oil cooler design for the dyna, and let me try out one of their fabricated fenders

the dealerships on the european mainland, seem to get fully involved in customising, in a way, and level i dont see in the UK

for me, imho, the main reason to own a harley is to customise it. its pretty agricultural as stock. lots of kudos to those that do, as to K9F in this thread

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

K9F (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Have been itching to do some changes for a while. Have only five months warranty left and thought 'To hell with it, I want to get cracking!' As with most modifications which are 'bolt on' these are just the same but a bit bigger. Will do the swap out of the fender and fitting of the air ride shocks myself along with the electrics, after all it's my bike and it may take a bit longer but it being my bike and suffering from mild OCD I will do a better job. Thanks for the comments!

Perhaps a strange analogy but I originally wanted to push the rear wheel out to 300mm but it was going to cost somewhere in the region of £11k which is not justifiable. What I am doing will be about £4k all in. So my view is by shaving off a mere 40mm width I am saving £7k.

Last edited by K9F; 07-11-2018 at 08:14 AM.

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Have been itching to do some changes for a while. Have only five months warranty left and thought 'To hell with it, I want to get cracking!' As with most modifications which are 'bolt on' these are just the same but a bit bigger. Will do the swap out of the fender and fitting of the air ride shocks myself along with the electrics, after all it's my bike and it may take a bit longer but it being my bike and suffering from mild OCD I will do a better job. Thanks for the comments!

Perhaps a strange analogy but I originally wanted to push the rear wheel out to 300mm but it was going to cost somewhere in the region of £11k which is not justifiable. What I am doing will be about £4k all in. So my view is by shaving off a mere 40mm width I am saving £7k.

i call Harley Freedom Day, the day after the warranty ends. You are not caught up with the 'what if', you just do the frickin thing and then only have to worry about insurance understanding

i saw some of the wide wheel options at the rallies and thought about it for the wide glide. took some advice and not going to pursue it. it does look cool though on the right bike such as yours imo.

i am going to lay out some k's onto my bike, but none of it will go to HD, which is a shame in a way.

i like the way you are trying to justify not going for the extra 40mm. its only when you have told the mrs, that the the urge not to do it is manageable

put this image up, and tried obviously unsuccessfully to delete it
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

Face (07-12-2018), Whistler (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by rosswg View Post
    was in the Thunderbike shop yesterday. very interesting and informative. i could have spent many hours, looking at what they had on show, even it was mainly softail based.
    we had an interesting conversation on exhausts, but that would be for another thread

they were able to put me in contact with a third party oil cooler design for the dyna, and let me try out one of their fabricated fenders

the dealerships on the european mainland, seem to get fully involved in customising, in a way, and level i dont see in the UK

for me, imho, the main reason to own a harley is to customise it. its pretty agricultural as stock. lots of kudos to those that do, as to K9F in this thread
    Thunder bike did some lovely custom examples of the new softail range.
    FTW )

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post

Great example of man math that works all the time!!!!

I love the Thunderbike rear fender for the Breakout... I didn't realise it was TUV approved for a pillion.

Why didn't you go for one of the TB seats? Or do they actually offer any?

Also are you changing the front forks as well as the damper/shock?

Love the project. Can't wait to see the final product!!!!