Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyroad View Post
    ….Be good to know your fender dim though. Might email Thunderbike and ask them.

Morning Mannyroad, apologies for the slight delay. The distance between the lug threads centre to centre is 97mm. The frame and swingarm arrangement of the Softail Breakout were inherited from it's forerunner the Rocker, only the fender strut arrangement was slightly different. On the forum 'across the pond' there is a conversion thread from Rocker to Breakout and everything was simply 'bolt on.' Unless your frame has been 'worked' I see no reason why the fender when advertised as suitable wouldn't fit?

If you look at the first fender pictures I posted at the beginning of this thread the holes for the mounting of the fender on the fender itself are elongated anyway to allow for small variations as the steel of the fender being 5mm thick would be a complete b4st4rd to rework without the correct tooling.

Large machined slightly conical plate washers are provided with the fender that completely cover the fender holes when finally fitted. (See photo below).

As an afterthought the only 260 tyre recommended and proven as fitting on the Breakout is the Metzeler Marathon. Other manufacturers tyres can only go 250 if the profile is right. People have tried and failed to fit 'other make' 250/260 tyres on a Breakout. It could be the 'profiling' on your tyre not the width that may be the fouling issue here perhaps? Alternatively you could try a Dunlop Elite 250 (proven to fit) or bite the bullet and go for a Metzeler Marathon 260 when yours is shot if you decide to go for the fender?

It was my intent to go 'Darkside' and fit a 235 car tyre on the rear of my Breakout, fitting this fender has stopped that idea for the time being as a 235 car tyre just won't fit or look right anymore. With the original fender it would have. 'Darksiders' are attaining phenomenal mileages 6 times plus that expected of a bike tyre out of their rear tyres without professed handling/insurance implications. I would still like to try it out for myself.

*LATE EDIT*

Did a 'round robin' trip of 80 miles today to drop seat base off at highly recommended automotive trimmers to discuss materials and style of seat.

Received some detailed pictures from one of our brethren in the USA who also bought a Thunderbike fender and finished seat from Thunderbike. Decided to replicate the seat below but use top quality real leather hide, smooth for the edging and textured for the base. The cross stitching will be done in a red anodised colour to coincide with the bike and memory foam together with a gel pad will be incorporated into the seat. Fraction of the cost of Thunderbike and exactly how I want it rather than off the shelf.

Last edited by K9F; 07-28-2018 at 03:22 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Mannyroad,

In the picture below you can see the fender lugs (two each side of the frame denoted by the yellow arrows) that need to come off to accommodate the fender. I measured the distance this morning without the lugs and it came out at 340mm, therefore I estimate the internal width across the flats of the fender to be 345-350mm. Mine is a tight fit as I only ground off enough of the lugs and a bit more to ensure the paint won't get damaged on fitting. Recommendation is to grind the lugs off flush but in doing so more paint damage of the frame would have ensued. I wanted to limit this as far as possible.

Last edited by K9F; 07-29-2018 at 12:39 PM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!

My Ride
    Ground up custom built bike, Harley softail 1340 custom built bike and a KTM Superduke 990
    Thanks for all this information K9F, very much appreciated. Will remove my fender and measure mine and check if our frame arrangement is similar. I'm still doubting that the Breakout frame/swingarm is the same dimensionally as mine given that my Venon tyre is almost touching each side, both to the drive belt and the swingarm itself.

Got the bike back from the S&S guy and checked the wheel rim; it's an 18" x 9" polished stainless rim, originally made by Devon Rim Company. Technically its the correct rim size for the Venom tyre and even the Metzler Marathon ME880 is capable of being fitted to an 8"-9" rim, though it might not look too good on the 9" rim. But it's an option to get a touch more fender wall clearance if needs be. But that fender you have is pretty cool, so I'm considering it anyway.

Agree with your thinking on the bike seat too. When i was looking for options for my Superduke I found a Luimoto seat cover that looked superb, but it was quite expensive, so I got my local bike seat upholsterer to do me a look alike cover, which, to be honest, ended up looking better than the proprietory one and allowed me to put some small extra orange & white detail in too, and all at a much reduced cost. See below:

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/178ma...a-9f67364d8a43
    Last edited by Mannyroad; 08-02-2018 at 12:48 AM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Final push now to get this completed and finished as I am back from holiday.

Collected the belt guards and fender having been painted and carbon dipped. Personally am extremely happy with both the colour and finish which are top quality. Front fender and belly pan will probably follow suit in the Winter and end up same colour but as it stands at the moment the bike could be rolled back to standard. Will need to think more on the issue of carrying out further paint work?

Spent a couple of hours fitting the fender.

A further couple of hours wiring up and tidying away the wiring.

Collecting custom seat tomorrow then hopefully fitting that and the belt guards, once more pressing chores are done will get the chance early next week to see how she runs.
    Last edited by K9F; 08-17-2018 at 11:10 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

Alec L (08-18-2018), Face (08-21-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Custom seat collected and fitted and belt guards nailed back on. Just a thorough clean and a bit of titivation and she's done for the time being.

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout
    It looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the whole bike!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 911teo For This Useful Post:

K9F (08-21-2018)

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Finished for the time being. As mentioned I may get the bellypan and front fender carbon dipped in the Winter? Will need to think more on the matter. The change has been quite profound, and one for the better I think aesthetically. The rear end has been tidied up and the horrendous void between fender and wheel reduced significantly. Today was the first time that it was wheeled out of the garage to clean it and get the swarf off it hence the larger picture of the completed project. I absolutely loved my 48 but it was impractical for pillion and fuelling was often inconvenient. Ironically it now puts me in mind a little of how my 48 looked but with now with a 200 mile range and still able to carry pillion when the need arises.

Before work commenced with 260 rear tyre already fitted.

Finished back end with lowest setting of Shotgun Air Ride System permissible.

Full extension of Shotgun Air Ride System.

Last edited by K9F; 08-20-2018 at 09:30 PM.

My Ride
    Wide Glide
    very nice K9F. congratulations

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rosswg For This Useful Post:

K9F (08-21-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    that rear is mint.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark881 For This Useful Post:

K9F (08-21-2018)

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout