Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh

Newbie Harley owner....help please

Hi Guys, thank you for adding me to this forum today, today I collected my first Harley, a used year 2000 Sportster 1200 xlh (2500 miles only)and I'm thrilled with it,
    I'm just after some advise and pointers, I need to carry out a full service, throttle cables, clutch and brake levers, led headlamp or triple light conversion kit, etc etc and wondered if you guys could advise a good uk supplier of aftermarket decent quality parts, I've also got some marks on the primary drive casing which is not chrome but a black wrinkle finish paint coating stuff the answer is can a touch up spray be purchased for this.
    Can anyone recommend any Harley clubs in Nottinghamshire, Thanks in advance for any help from Janno

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Janno For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Davi...anner=1&_rdt=1

Look through this forum on the searches for aftermarket parts and you will find some good ideas..

Some people like genuine parts... Some like cheaper... If you look through this forum you will see what's what and make your own mind up..

Forgot to mention one thing though if you are going down the genuine harley parts route.... Use Jersey HD as you don't pay tax on the parts..... But do check local HD dealers also as sometimes they have sales etc

Ohhh yeah... Welcome to the forum from Kinross

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 07-09-2018 at 10:19 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dod View Post
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Davi...anner=1&_rdt=1

Look through this forum on the searches for aftermarket parts and you will find some good ideas..

Some people like genuine parts... Some like cheaper... If you look through this forum you will see what's what and make your own mind up..

Forgot to mention one thing though if you are going down the genuine harley parts route.... Use Jersey HD as you don't pay tax on the parts..... But do check local HD dealers also as sometimes they have sales etc

Ohhh yeah... Welcome to the forum from Kinross

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Thank you Dod for your input much appreciated,

I’m looking to change my existing speedo and mileometer as its in kilometres, can these just be swapped over like plug and play ( same style, size speedo etc) and can I programme the current mileage back in?, ive just been offed a genuine used one at sensible money, just though5 I’d ask,
    Thanks again Janno

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Welcome tae the forum fae Fife. You could try your local HOG chapter for events, runs etc.
    FTW )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Janno,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

Your local HOG chapter is the Sherwood chapter, you can join through Robin Hood H-D in Nottingham.

There are some good aftermarket sellers of custom parts for Harley's in the UK.

A R Harley & Sons in Blackpool.
    The Hogfather in Southport.
    V-Twin Mania in Edinburgh.
    Hogparts in Cannock.

These are used by forum members.

As Dod has said, Jersey H-D don't charge VAT on orders placed online. UK customs sometimes charge you the taxes, if you pay them and email Jersey H-D a copy of the receipt they'll reimburse you.

I bought a Daymaker headlight from Jersey and got it at £80 cheaper than the mainland dealership price. Some members have bought Asian made LED headlights without any problems, others will only buy the genuine article. It all depends how deep your pockets are.

If your planning to fit LED indicators you'll need to install some form of load equaliser to prevent them from flashing too rapidly. Load equalisers can be bought on Amazon or eBay for a few pounds. There are great quality front and rear LED indicators for sale on eBay, they have metal bodies in either chrome or black powder coating. The stock 3 in 1 rear indicators are very expensive, they're £245.84 each. You could buy front and rear LED indicators on eBay for less than £60.00 and a 3 in 1 tail light unit for an additional £16.09.

s-l1600 (18).jpg s-l1600 (17).jpg s-l1600 (19).jpg

I have the eBay LED indicators on the front of my Iron 883. they come with 3 sets of lenses, amber, smoked and red. I've fitted the smoked ones on my Iron, nice and bright aren't they?

IMG_20160903_123223 (3).jpg IMG_20160724_193549 (2).jpg

An LED equaliser unit will cost £10 to £15.

I hope that's helped you.

Dave.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Janno (07-10-2018)

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Janno View Post
    Thank you Dod for your input much appreciated,

I’m looking to change my existing speedo and mileometer as its in kilometres, can these just be swapped over like plug and play ( same style, size speedo etc) and can I programme the current mileage back in?, ive just been offed a genuine used one at sensible money, just though5 I’d ask,
    Thanks again Janno
    Km? Is it a digital speedo you have on the bike? You know you can change from km to miles on your speedo? Just hold in the trip switch or I think there will likely be a button to switch over from miles to km etc...

Take a piccy of your speedo and post it up...you might not need to change it at all...you might just need to press or hold a button for a second or two

Hold the trip button for a couple of seconds if that’s the issue and your getting distance covered in km...when your highlighting the distance on the display...it will change over to miles

If your speed is in km....show us a picture or tell us if it anologue or digital or what...pictures help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 07-10-2018 at 10:14 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-11-2018), Janno (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    Thank you for that information Dave, most helpful, regards Janno

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Janno For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200xlh
    image.jpg

This is the photo of my speedo hope it helps, thanks Janno
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Janno View Post
    image.jpg

This is the photo of my speedo hope it helps, thanks Janno
    Have you thought about just changing the face plate to one that gives you miles and kms on the bike?

I don’t think a speedo change is just going to be a plug and play....I am not sure if the ecu on the older bikes transfers over the mileage from the bike.... best get someone to confirm that..

Maybe someone else knows the answer on that one???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dod; 07-10-2018 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    You are on the right track with your sticker modification. Whilst there are many decal conversion stickers from MPH to Kilometres I couldn't find any the other way round. Dod is correct the ECU does log the mileage and with clock changes problems can ensue if not done correctly with the appropriate software. If you can get access to your bezel within your speedo buying another clock and swapping out the dial only may be an idea? If you are prepared to live with stickers the kit below appears 'on the face of it' (no pun intended) to meet legislation.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPH-stick...-/380747734671
    Last edited by K9F; 07-11-2018 at 07:32 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!