My Ride
    None

Hi, thinking of buying a Harley and would like some advice please.

I’ve not ridden now for 6 years but am thinking of getting back into it. Previously I’ve had all sorts of bikes ranging from a naked 600cc Fazer, to Sports Tourers, superbikes and the last bike I had was the BMW R1200GS Adventure, clearly none of which are anything like a Harley.

I’ve pretty much narrowed the choice down to the Road King as it needs to be good for distance with decent protection to prevent buffering, be good two up and also be ‘reasonable’ at handling. The Ultra Limited is a bit on the large size, plus not sure how well it would cope with the twists and turns of the Derbyshire Roads. I popped down to Harley World Chesterfield at the weekend and the first thing that struck me was how awkward the foot controls felt. Obviously being used to pegs it was always going to be different with the boards but I was not prepared for how high the rear brake and gear shifter are, I have to physically lift my foot up off the board to use them, and it felt as though I’d have no finesse with the rear brake as I wouldn’t be able to rest my heel and all the weight of my leg/foot would go in the brake and no doubt would apply too much pressure. I don’t think this is helped by the fact I’m 6’4” meaning my legs are bent a lot which in turn means that I have to bend my foot back to the extreme. Obviously if I had shorter legs my lower leg wouldn’t be at such an angle meaning I wouldn’t have to bend my foot back as much (hope this makes sense?)

So the question really is do you get used it, am I too tall and it shouldn’t be that awkward, or something else? I spoke to a guy that says you can have forward controls it when I’ve looked online at these controls most folk have a good stretch on their leg meaning their foot naturally points up and so makes it easy to use the controls. My concern would be the my leg would still be quite bent and so my foot would still be much more horizontal.

Anyway, any help and advice would be much appreciated as I’m sure there must be plenty of 6 foot plus riders out there on Harleys. For those that came from more traditional bikes how long did it take to get used to the boards and this kind of riding?

Cheers, Toby

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snerkler For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-09-2018), reindeer (07-11-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Welcome to the forum fae Fife. Try some Harleys for size with forwards. They would most likely be a good fit for you
    FTW )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whistler For This Useful Post:

snerkler (07-09-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Toby,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

Why not have a look on YouTube for Laidlaw Harley-Davidson videos, Matt Laidlaw is 6' 5" tall and he's made riding videos of all the 2018 H-D portfolio. If you intend buying a new H-D, wait another four week and the 2019 range will be announced in Mid August, that's the start of H-D's model year.

The 2018 Fat Bob is worth looking at, it has the large frame and plenty of power for carrying two people, It also has killer looks and forward mounted foot pegs, not boards.

Harley-Davidson_Fat_Bob_2018_7415-1.jpg 083117-Harley-Davidson-Fat-Bob-9949.jpg

Forget about a Sportster, it'll simply be too small for you and a passenger.

Best of luck with your quest,

Dave.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

snerkler (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenose-1956 View Post
    Hi Toby,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

Why not have a look on YouTube for Laidlaw Harley-Davidson videos, Matt Laidlaw is 6' 5" tall and he's made riding videos of all the 2018 H-D portfolio. If you intend buying a new H-D, wait another four week and the 2019 range will be announced in Mid August, that's the start of H-D's model year.

The 2018 Fat Bob is worth looking at, it has the large frame and plenty of power for carrying two people, It also has killer looks and forward mounted foot pegs, not boards.

Harley-Davidson_Fat_Bob_2018_7415-1.jpg 083117-Harley-Davidson-Fat-Bob-9949.jpg

Forget about a Sportster, it'll simply be too small for you and a passenger.

Best of luck with your quest,

Dave.
    Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check out those videos. The Fat Bob sure does look the business but it has no wind protection and I don't think it will be so good for long distance?

Thanks also @Whistler I'll take a look.

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT
    Take a whirl on a 114 Softail Heritage Classic or a Road King but get them to remove the boards for pegs, then report back!
    Last edited by K9F; 07-10-2018 at 09:46 AM.

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to K9F For This Useful Post:

snerkler (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    Triumph Bonneville, HD Breakout
    I also did not find the floor boards very comfortable at all.

Another bike to try would be the 2018 Sport Glide. Pegs and fwd controls.... See if it is really the boards that bother you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 911teo For This Useful Post:

snerkler (07-10-2018)

My Ride
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by K9F View Post
    Take a whirl on a 114 Softail Heritage Classic or a Road King but get them to remove the boards for pegs, then report back!
    Quote Originally Posted by 911teo View Post
    I also did not find the floor boards very comfortable at all.

Another bike to try would be the 2018 Sport Glide. Pegs and fwd controls.... See if it is really the boards that bother you.
    Thanks, I didn't realise you could swap the boards for pegs. That opens up even more possibilities. I'm not sure how much wind protection I'd get from the Sport Glide tbh, plus I wouldn't be able to afford a 2018 model anyway