Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Superlow

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Super Low

2018 Superlow

Hi Guys,

My first post so be gentle.

After years of riding sports bikes and then a break from bikes I went back to it in 2016 and bought a Yamaha MT 09, changed it in 2017 for a Yamaha XSR 900 60th Anniversary, still have this bike.

Anyway, my mate has 2001 hugger which is immaculate and I love it. Anyway, I wasn’t really looking for a Harley( this is what I told the wife)😂😂😂, so I found a 2018 Superlow in black at Swansea HD, a deal was done, as I told the wife, those immortal words, “ I couldn’t leave it there”😁.

Anyway, this HD is proving a labour of love and fitting shit loads of bits! Due to circumstances, I lost my mum very suddenly since I bought the bike I’ve only done 130 miles on it.

Fast forward to today, I fitted a few modded bits and thought I’ll go out for an hour on it. Went to start it and click, click, click. Shit! The bike has been on a HD tender since I have had it.

The battery is definitely knackered, anyone heard of this?

Anyway what should I do. The bike is only 2 months old, my dealer is over 60 miles away. Any advice would be welcome.

Steve

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    The battery is definitely knackered
    What have you done to deduce this?

If the led is green on the hd tender then the battery is fully charged. I have the same and it definitely works. I think the led will be orange and maybe flashing if there is a problem.

The clicking from I guess the solenoid does occur with a flat battery but it may also occur if you have a bad connection. Check earth connections and connections on the battery.

A high resistance connection will limit current flow and act like the battery is flat.

Measure the voltage of the battery. 12.6 volts and up it should have plenty of go in it.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XL883 Superlow
    Modern HDs put a constant drain on the battery due to the security system, this is why the newer ones (I also have a 2017/18 Superlow) are fitted with an optimate type battery charging socket as standard. My dealer recommended keeping the optimate plugged in when not riding as the battery can go flat in about 1 month otherwise. He says that is better than the HD tender. Try taking the battery off (or totally disconnecting it) and charge it to see if retains its charge.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
    Les

My Ride
    Thanks for your response, terminals on the battery are fine, where is the earth?

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by leswaller View Post
    Modern HDs put a constant drain on the battery due to the security system, this is why the newer ones (I also have a 2017/18 Superlow) are fitted with an optimate type battery charging socket as standard. My dealer recommended keeping the optimate plugged in when not riding as the battery can go flat in about 1 month otherwise. He says that is better than the HD tender. Try taking the battery off (or totally disconnecting it) and charge it to see if retains its charge.

It’s been connected to a HD tender from the dat I had it, 2 months.

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    What have you done to deduce this?

If the led is green on the hd tender then the battery is fully charged. I have the same and it definitely works. I think the led will be orange and maybe flashing if there is a problem.

The clicking from I guess the solenoid does occur with a flat battery but it may also occur if you have a bad connection. Check earth connections and connections on the battery.

A high resistance connection will limit current flow and act like the battery is flat.

Measure the voltage of the battery. 12.6 volts and up it should have plenty of go in it.
    Andy see my repbelow

My Ride
    It’s been connected to a HD tender from the day I had it, 2 months.
    Is the led green?

where is the earth?
    No sure on the frame / engine but if your battery is in the same as mine it is nearest you under the cover and shouldn't be too hard to trace.

The HD tender is a Deltran Battery Tender 800 http://products.batterytender.com/Ch...emisphere.html and is perfect for the job. I had no trouble getting my bike started after not starting it for over 2 months.
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 07-08-2018 at 10:11 PM.

My Ride
    Is the led green?

No sure on the frame / engine but if your battery is in the same as mine it is nearest you under the cover and shouldn't be too hard to trace.

The HD tender is a Deltran Battery Tender 800 http://products.batterytender.com/Ch...emisphere.html and is perfect for the job. I had no trouble getting my bike started after not starting it for over 2 months.
    I’ve had the light orange, flashing green and constant green

My Ride
    Is the led green?

It’s been orange, flashing yellow and constant yellow

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie996 View Post
    It’s been orange, flashing yellow and constant yellow
    Constant yellow would indicate it is charging but the battery is low or possibly there is a load on the battery that the charger can't compete with. I think there is an inline fuse in the lead on the bike. I would check that and check the lead itself is good.

I would be inclined to take the battery and the lead off the bike and test it on the bench
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 07-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.