Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883

2018 Iron 883 rear signals

Hi, just wondered if itís possible and if anyone has successfully changed the amber covers on the rear bullet indicator/brake lights. Iíve recently changed the front amber for smoked and it looks miles better wondering if and how I can do the back without resorting to new units. Iíve attached an image of the ones on my 2018, not sure how recent they are 0E1569C3-5AF4-475A-B1A3-90912A2C52D0.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ11_ANT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-06-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

KiWAV in Taiwan used to make rear lens covers for the H-D 3 in 1 rear lights, I bought a pair in 2013 for my 2011 Iron. Unfortunately KiWAV stopped making them in 2014. The covers are held on place by clear double sided sticky pads.

IMG_20160505_190353 (2).jpg

Another solution id spraying the lenses with smoked lens paint, it can be bought on eBay for £7.50 a can. The item number is 253045557029, the seller is in Huddersfield. It gives great results.

s-l500 (3).jpgIMG_0004 - 2.jpg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

AJ11_ANT (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    I sprayed mine and it worked quite well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

AJ11_ANT (07-07-2018), bluenose-1956 (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    Just a few words of advice. The Hycote is excellent Ive done my front and rears - when you use it, spray in very light one pass coats, leaving around 30 mins to dry between each coat. A bit of patience like this and you will avoid runs and you can stop at the level of tint you desire/fancy. The great thing about this product is that if you want to get back to your original lens colour, a wipe with decorator's white-spirit will do just that for you. So mistakes are easily rectified.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883
    I might give that a go, shame they don’t make removable lenses like they do at the front but if this gives same effect ����

Presume it doesn’t stop the light passing through too much?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ11_ANT For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    It’s fine mate and the lighting remains surprisingly good/almost unchanged.Just order some and try it. I think I was one of the first to try this product and apart from rushing and getting runs on my first attempt, it’s a bloody fine product.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

AJ11_ANT (07-07-2018), bluenose-1956 (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    2018 Harley-Davidson 883
    I’ll get some ordered, cheers gents ����

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ11_ANT For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Done the same thing to my streetbob when I got it.

Pictures were taken at the time I did it...I even plasti dipped the rear indicators as the are chrome on my bike and I havenít had to touch that up yet...I didnít use a primer as I wanted to peel it off back to standard at some point plus I have new rear lights I want to fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dod For This Useful Post:

My Ride
    Hi that looks good- nice job. Everyone seems to be doing it these days I did mine in Jan 2015 after discovering the rear lenses can’t be interchanged with dark ones, as the whole body and cover is a sealed unit. The alert I would say to all is that I notice that you used the etech lens paint product & not the HYCOTE. The gentle warnng I would give is that the etech-product only comes off with petrol and it’s generally harder to remove, even with the petrol. Don’t get me wrong it does come off but it’s harder than the HYCOTE product. I only know this as my brother used the etech product and I used HYCOTE. He had a run and I did and he was hacked off at how easy mine went back to orange compared to his, before we each made another attempt at painting the lenses dark again. And it took us a while to find a solvent to get the etech stuff off (petrol for etech and whitespirit for HYCOTE)! Best to all. Another ps. Don’t go too dark and you’ll pass MOTs ok, as mine has.
    Last edited by steveket; 07-07-2018 at 09:36 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to steveket For This Useful Post:

Dod (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Streetbob SE
    Quote Originally Posted by steveket View Post
    Hi that looks good- nice job. Everyone seems to be doing it these days I did mine in Jan 2015 after discovering the rear lenses canít be interchanged with dark ones, as the whole body and cover is a sealed unit. The alert I would say to all is that I notice that you used the etech lens paint product & not the HYCOTE. The gentle warnng I would give is that the etech-product only comes off with petrol and itís generally harder to remove, even with the petrol. Donít get me wrong it does come off but itís harder than the HYCOTE product. I only know this as my brother used the etech product and I used HYCOTE. He had a run and I did and he was hacked off at how easy mine went back to orange compared to his, before we each made another attempt at painting the lenses dark again. And it took us a while to find a solvent to get the etech stuff off (petrol for etech and whitespirit for HYCOTE)! Best to all. Another ps. Donít go too dark and youíll pass MOTs ok, as mine has.
    It was the first thing i found online at the time..i didn't do much research on it but cheers for the tip on removal

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk