Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200S

Smile Hi from a prodigal Harley owner

Hi All
    After a few years of being bike-less I have succumbed and bought myself a 2003 Sportster 1200S (retirement pressy to self). It has SE II mufflers which are far too loud and unfortunately attract plod every time I venture out so I have purchased a secondhand set of standard ones.
    Now I need some help- when I try to remove the bracket bolt from the front muffler it is necessary to remove the brake pedal first and it is refusing to move. I've taken out the split pin but the pivot pin will not move, not even when I try to press it out with a G clamp and socket. Other than drilling it out and replacing it with new I am at a loss at what to do. Am I missing something or is this a common problem with a bike of this age.
    Hope one of you more knowledgable than I can help me out.
    Chris

s-l1600.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandwick For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-07-2018), reindeer (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson XLS 1200 SPORT
    I had the same problem when removing the exhaust from my 1996 1200S,but managed to jiggle a curved shank ring spanner onto the nut without removal of the brake pedal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Ed For This Useful Post:

Sandwick (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum from Calderdale in West Yorkshire.

That's a lovely XL1200S you have there. Did you do the buckshot holes in the exhaust heat shields yourself, they look great.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose-1956 For This Useful Post:

Sandwick (07-07-2018)

My Ride
    Thanks for the idea. If the spanner don't fit - make it fit. I've just taken the angle grinder to one of my old spanners and now it's sorted, job done

My Ride
    Hi Bluenose
    Thanks for the welcome. The picture of the bike is exactly how it was when I bought it. One of the things I liked about it were those heat shields and they were already on when the chap I bought it from got the bike. I've made a couple of changes since I had it; this red grips just had to go and I've just swapped the SE II mufflers for a pair of standard ones so as to get the local plod off my case.

My Ride
    Yes where there's a will there's a way. Is your jiffy stand on a brick. My 1200S leans at an extreme angle due to the extra ground clearance with the 13" shocks?.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Forty Eight
    If anyone wants some buckshot heat shields in black - I’m open to offers - I swapped mine on buying my ex-demo bike. I’ve not ridden the bike ever with them on. They’re wrapped and ready for s new home. Serious offers welcome.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwick View Post
    Hi Bluenose
    Thanks for the welcome. The picture of the bike is exactly how it was when I bought it. One of the things I liked about it were those heat shields and they were already on when the chap I bought it from got the bike. I've made a couple of changes since I had it; this red grips just had to go and I've just swapped the SE II mufflers for a pair of standard ones so as to get the local plod off my case.

You're very welcome,

The red grips didn't do it justice, glad you got rid of them.

The buckshot shields look good though, they suit the bike fine.
    Last edited by bluenose-1956; 07-07-2018 at 08:22 PM.

My Ride
    Yes, there was a wooden block under the stand - stopped it sinking into the lawn. There is quite a lean on it when parked up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandwick For This Useful Post:

Uncle Ed (07-08-2018)

My Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwick View Post
    Yes, there was a wooden block under the stand - stopped it sinking into the lawn. There is quite a lean on it when parked up.
    Ah. Not just me then. I find turning the wheel to the right reduces the lean a little. Enjoy your "Sport"
    Ed.