My Ride
    Harley-Davidson DYNA SUPER GLIDE FXDC

pitted fork bottoms

hi, any one out there been able to remove the pitting marks on the fork bottoms very easily, i think they want stripping, but am open to suggestions, 2010 softail.

regards andy

My Ride
    FXSE CVO BREAKOUT

IF YOU GO THROUGH LIFE WITH YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND.....ALL PEOPLE WILL SEE IS AN ARSE!!
    TREAT EVERY DAY AS YOUR LAST.....ONE DAY YOU WILL BE RIGHT!!

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I did 1 of mine yesterday 2008 softail I tried Autosol with a drill and wheel but it soon became apparent you really need the legs off ,im not doing that so I used 800 wet and dry with water it took some rubbing but it has got the pits off and then Autosol to polish it up.

I get the feeling they are lacquered or have a coating on as you rub it shows you are taking some type of coat off and I do need to go over it again so its not an easy fix all I can say is it looks a lot better, I think some more 800 and then 1200 will sort it followed by a good polish up.
    Rob

My Ride
    2018 sportglide
    Get the front wheel off and go over them with finer and finer grit paper by hand and the polish up with a polishing mop gets them super shiny!!20171001_141948.jpg

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    I accidentally put a 75mm long arc scratch in the front sprocket cover - it was about 0.25mm - 0.5mm deep.

Because I couldn't be bothered to take the exhaust and the cover off, I found a 40mm diameter sucker (like wot might be on a toy arrow head) and stuck it into a socket bit.

I then got some double sided tape and stuck that onto the sucker - the 'bit' part put into my electric drill.

Then with 1000; 2000; 3000; and 6000 grit sanding discs, I cut out a number at 45mm diameter and used them on the cover; I finished off with Maguires liquid compound and then Autosol on cloth pads which I stuck to the sucker - the scratch has gone and the shine is better than the original polishing.

I found when polishing aluminium that any grit wet & dry much 'below' 1000 grade will leave ghost scratches in the aluminium even when well polished afterwards.