Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Funny that this subject came up as only yesterday morning I was looking at mine to see if I could knock up a 2.5mm thick stainless steel circular clamp / clip which would fit around the frame tube with a nut and bolt to keep it nice and tight; plus drilling a hole in the side panel for a recessed QR Dzus fastener.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (07-04-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Here is the answer to holding the battery cover side panel on....

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...button-release

....simply drill the top frame rail between the clip position and tap it M8; drill the hole at the correct angle so it is right for the cover.

Also, drill the hole as low as possible in the frame otherwise the push button will be too high on the cover.

My frame is sort of semi-circular (inverted) and there are cables in it. If anyone has a proper tube in that position, you will need to add a block of some sort on the bottom of the tube.

..... screw the threaded rod in to roughly just over (longer) where you would need the correct length.

Then offer up the side panel to make sure it touches the ball of the rod on which you have used something like engineer's blue....this will leave a mark on the inside of the cover.

Drill a pilot hole through the cover, turn it over and drill the correct size of the push button housing.

Now you can fiddle with the adjustment of the rod so it is right for locking the cover on. You may have to cut down the rod if the frame end is too long.

Job basically done.

AL
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 07-03-2018 at 05:39 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettin'onabit For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (07-03-2018), Dipstick (07-04-2018)

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    That's a great idea AL.

How about some photos of the finished article?

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster custom
    Hi Steveket, Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have found some re-useable cable zips ties that can be undone by hand (not cut) and are black like the cover so are almost invisible.
    I'll probably try and get some of the new clips from a dealer and try that as well

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster custom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettin'onabit View Post
    Here is the answer to holding the battery cover side panel on....

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motor...button-release

....simply drill the top frame rail between the clip position and tap it M8; drill the hole at the correct angle so it is right for the cover.

Also, drill the hole as low as possible in the frame otherwise the push button will be too high on the cover.

My frame is sort of semi-circular (inverted) and there are cables in it. If anyone has a proper tube in that position, you will need to add a block of some sort on the bottom of the tube.

..... screw the threaded rod in to roughly just over (longer) where you would need the correct length.

Then offer up the side panel to make sure it touches the ball of the rod on which you have used something like engineer's blue....this will leave a mark on the inside of the cover.

Drill a pilot hole through the cover, turn it over and drill the correct size of the push button housing.

Now you can fiddle with the adjustment of the rod so it is right for locking the cover on. You may have to cut down the rod if the frame end is too long.

Job basically done.

AL
    Wow Get in'onabit - that's a very professional job ! Thanks, it will definitely fix the problem.
    It sounds a bit beyond my ham fisted capabilities. I don't fancy trying to drill the frame, especially if it has wires inside, but I'll bear it in mind in case I need it in the future. I'd probably take it to my local m/cycle garage to do.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    You may not have wiring in your frame at that point (midway between both cover clips - also roughly at the same position as the gap behind the battery.

One thing I have found is that the threaded stud has to be inserted in a downward angle in the frame, because the top of the cover and the clips are level with the lower edge of the frame, so that means drilling and tapping at the correct angle.

It doesn't matter about the angle because the stud end has a ball for the push button to engage on.

It may means the stud will have to be Loctited in the frame rather than using a locknut - a locknut may foul the top edge of the cover.

I will order a pair asap and do the job over this winter - if it works out OK, I will have a spare one to sell.

My Ride
    2011 XL883N Iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    I am seeing them at £12.52. Where did you see that price please?

Rip-off Britain and no getting away from it - $9 in the States.

Unfortunately only one of the new clips can be used on a 2008 year bike as the front is located at the side of the frame. I don't know when the front clip was relocated to the top of the frame.

Also to note on Dipstick's bike the battery is in the other way round and slightly higher.
    I got the Jersey H-D price of £9.93 and added 20% for the VAT.

Your price of £12.52 is correct according to the Chester H-D website, mainland stealerships are even greedier than I thought.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster 48
    Worth double checking everything fits in the cover properly. When I received my 48 the battery cover was always under pressure and popping the front clip. On closer inspection I noticed the front wire cluster was sticking forward slightly and catching on the cover edge. Some juggling and the battery cover now engages much easier and more securely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk