Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom

Question 1200 Custom: nine bob note?

Having (finally) got my beloved Custom, I was perterbed to find it leaning right a little when riding. As I posted before, I wondered if the saddle appearing to be off-centre was the problem so I took it to Riders yesterday (under the Harley Originals Warranty). The service guy - whose name I have forgotten - was very nice and got one of his minions to test ride my bike. After about half an hour he reported that everything was fine...

We talked about the off-centre saddle and he, frankly, blew my mind: it's not the seat that's out, it's the tank. I could hardly believe it but he showed me a brank new Custom (lovely!) - and it's tank was askew as well. Not much, less than an inch I think, but it's there. It looks more pronounced with a single, pointy-ended seat like my Mustang, but it's still noticable with the wider fronted stock seat. Incredible! Harley make their Customs bent, at least as far as the tank goes. I wonder why they do that...? (Do Superlows - and other 4½ US gallon tank fitted bikes - have the same issue?)

I'll get a picture of mine later, but I'm not in town for a while so if anyone else gets to a dealer, could you take a snap of a new Custom tank/seat alignment, just for the record?

Who'd a thunk it...

As for the right lean, it appears that xbpod was right: I must be lopsided. (Feels vaguely embarrasing!)

Cheers,

Chris

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-29-2018), xbpod (06-29-2018)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    Seat to saddle may not be inline but it isn't an inch out.

DSCF1633.jpg

I don't feel as if I am leaning or the bike is leaning to go in a straight line. In fact the front tyre is starting to see a bit of a flat forming perfectly in the middle.
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-29-2018 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Morning Andy - your tank alignment looks about the same as the new Custom I looked at. This is mine:

1200 Custom Tank Allingment.jpg

Looks much more pronounced, innit? Totally bizarre to me...

The right lean must be my biology, rather than the bike. I am intending to get my brother to give it go as he'll be impartial but honest (not suggesting that Riders were otherwise!), still, they cannot be really impartial. We'll see.

Thanks for the picture Andy - is that a Sundowner? Interesting that it's a Superlow - it must be a general tank alignment thing, rather than a Custom thing. Still wierd to me though.

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisOfTheOT; 06-29-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: One 'z', two 'r's in bizarre. Who knew?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisOfTheOT For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-29-2018)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    Hi, No probs posting pictures. The MoCo will say the tank is off to one side for balance no doubt.

It is a Sundowner seat. I quite like the stock touring seat but my partner can only stand about 25 minutes before we needed to stop. The pillion part was too narrow whilst the Sundowner is about 2" wider.

I did look at Mustang seats but it would of been double the cost.

Is the tongue on your seat is properly in the middle where it engages under the tank?
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-29-2018 at 01:04 PM.

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Well, you learn something new every day Chris! Mine is bob-on...the standard seat is properly centred as is my Sundowner with the tank, and that tank appears perfectly central so it appears someone, somewhere, is being fed a crock of BS. This sounds like a QC issue. Why would one be centred and one not? More like who-ever welds the mounting lugs got it wrong and it was never checked. There's no way a tank should be off centre. I'd be asking for a new tank, tout-suite in your shoes...Chelt H-D, here you come

My Ride
    '16 Iron
    Gotta love Harley QC eh! The caring company! LOL

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883
    Some would say Harleys are characterful......

My Ride
    2016 Harley-Davidson 883 iron
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnythefox View Post
    Some would say Harleys are characterful......
    They are .
    FTW )

My Ride
    2016 Iron 883

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnythefox For This Useful Post:

Whistler (06-30-2018)

My Ride
    2016 XL1200CA Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckhornBud View Post
    ... Why would one be centred and one not? More like who-ever welds the mounting lugs got it wrong...
    Morning Bud - this is a good question, relating to consistency. I took the seat off (see backrest post) and note that the welded lug on the frame which the tank bolts to is not centred, the tank itself is fine. It would be simple (for someone else!) to bend or extend the 'C' shaped bolt bracket on the tank on the right arm of the 'C', and then add a small spacer to the left. However, I'm going to live with this element of 'character'. Still, it is a bit bonkers!

Next time I'm in Riders I'm going to check out all the Sportsters with 17l tanks. (Not that it'll do any good, but it is an interesting excercise.)

Cheers,

Chris