My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

Optimate charger blkowing fuses

I'm trying to connect my Optimate 3 charger to charge / maintain the battery on my Sportster (2013 Custom 1200 XL) but it keeps blowing the inline fuse. The inline fuse is 5 amp (orange). The charger works perfectly on my Softail. Can anyone suggest what could be the problem pls?

Blowing not Blkowing

My Ride
    Sportster 1200 ca
    It's odd that it works fine on one bike but not the other. The obvious thing to check first is the pig tails conected to the battery, are they the right polarity or shorting to earth via the frame?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B For This Useful Post:

Westy (07-18-2018)

My Ride
    A proper bike
    Sounds like you have short somewhere on the charging line or on your sporty. First thing I'd do is check all the leads, starting with the charging lead from the battery. Also, have you any after market extras fitted back from your battery as anything causing a drain on the charging circuit will cause the Optimate to draw more current and pop a fuse.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckhornBud For This Useful Post:

Westy (07-18-2018)

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    For clarification you are connecting everything up before switching on the charger?

As a test try removing the battery from the bike to allow the charger to test the state of it.
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-28-2018 at 08:33 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:

Westy (07-18-2018)

My Ride
    XL1200V Sportster
    I had exactly the same problem on my 2013 XL1200V Sportster, it turned out to be the ground lead from the battery. It checked out ok with the multimeter . I got round the problem by fitting an earth bonding lead which I got in Halfords ( £8.99 length 18" ) I fitted it in parallel with the original, hey presto everything works ok, it even starts better. I`ll remove the original later in the year. The extra length of the bonding lead is a bonus as it makes battery removal a doddle

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou.Briand For This Useful Post:

Westy (07-18-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Thanks for the replies. The issue turned out to be the connecting block where the Optimate connected, the wires were touching inside and blowing the fuse. All sorted now thanks....but I do have a new problem with the alarm / immobilizer (I think). I'll start a new post tomorrow if I can't sort that one.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Funny that in my experience, every time there is a battery or charger issue an Optimate always seems to be present.
    Last edited by Gettin'onabit; 07-19-2018 at 11:05 AM.