Thread: K&N filter

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson

K&N filter

Thinking of going back to standard air box... well I have re fitted it as Ive also put standard exhaust back on until my slip ons arrive.... because I sold my shortshots after my week away on the bike making me realise that amount of noise just isnt for me anymore. Im actually prefering the look of the standard filter set up... so my question is I think theres a filter for it made by K&N ... a HD-1212 . Is this therefore classed as a free flow filter for stage 1 ?

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    I think what makes the air filter free flowing is the removal of the back plate that has just the small opening at the front and possible air restrictors into the engine at the back.

I can't believe the filter element is vastly different in the screaming eagle kit I fitted or the K&N one compared to stock else it would let all the crap through into the engine. The only difference I can see is some are washable.

Remembering to get the best from your bike by getting the tuning checked out.

DSCF1605.jpg

Stock look but stage 1 with Khrome Werks slipons and screaming eagle air filter.

EDIT: K&N RK-3943 provides all the parts if you want to stage 1 your bike to keep the stock look similar to screaming eagle.
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 06-27-2018 at 09:35 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:

bluenose-1956 (06-27-2018)

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson 883 Iron
    Hey Wide

I had a K&N High flow filter in my original airbox before i changed it for a Rough Crafts one. It did say it was high flow on the box and i had slip-ons so flashed it with the FP3.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Was also thinkin of maybe going with one of the arlen ness big suckers... as they can have the standard top cover put on them but then wonder if you are just restricting airflow by doing thisas there is no scoop to get air in, so essentially to me it looks like your as good as bunging a bag over the top of it

My Ride
    2017 Harley-Davidson XL1200T
    Review what you have and what you want.

1. What year is your bike? Need to know if it is EFI.

You had a free flowing air cleaner and short shot slipons fitted. This is stage 1 parts.

2. Did you fit them?

3. Did the bike get retuned?

You have the standard air cleaner box with back plate, looks like this:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/16308168228...7745162&crdt=0

You also have the original slipons that you want to put back on the bike.

At this juncture the only reason for fitting the K&N filter is you like it better than OEM and that it is washable so reducing cost of buying new when a change is scheduled.

Point 3 above the engine will now be running richer and will require a retune.

If you want to keep the stock look but want a free flowing air cleaner then you will require a different back plate as I pointed out with the K&N one. It is the backplate that makes it free flowing not just the cleaner element you fit.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
    Review what you have and what you want.

1. What year is your bike? Need to know if it is EFI.

You had a free flowing air cleaner and short shot slipons fitted. This is stage 1 parts.

2. Did you fit them?

3. Did the bike get retuned?

You have the standard air cleaner box with back plate, looks like this:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/16308168228...7745162&crdt=0

You also have the original slipons that you want to put back on the bike.

At this juncture the only reason for fitting the K&N filter is you like it better than OEM and that it is washable so reducing cost of buying new when a change is scheduled.

Point 3 above the engine will now be running richer and will require a retune.

If you want to keep the stock look but want a free flowing air cleaner then you will require a different back plate as I pointed out with the K&N one. It is the backplate that makes it free flowing not just the cleaner element you fit.
    Yes its EFI..a 17 yr........ and yes I know its was stage 1'd with previous short shots and a RSD blunt filter.... but I got rid of the short shots so I put original filter back on and adjusted the fueling on my FP3 back to standard settings for now. I have got myself some Cobra slip ons now as I wanted less noise and I like the classic look of the twin pipe set up. Since putting the standard filter back on however Im kind of liking it and may sell my RSD filter as its worth quite a lot. So I was wondering if the bike with a K&N filter fitted into the standard airbox would beconsidered free flowing enough for stage 1 purposes.
    It seems however that some are saying the backplate needs to be gotten rid of to achieve this.... Thats perhaps confusing me a bit as the hole to the rear doesnt look so much smaller than the hole on the RSD filter

My Ride
    XL883 Low
    K&N do usually make a standard replacement filter check on their website mine is Hd8834 but with no modifications to the back plate or stage one I have stock mufflers my bike is carbed
    Last edited by HU3436; 07-01-2018 at 08:40 PM.

My Ride
    XL883 Low
    I just read on k&n website that the hd1212 is a stock replacement filter so you can fit it but because you may have altered the backing plate for stage 1 unless you change that back to stock you will need to tune it even with stock pipes due to the increase in air as a stock replacement power increase is minimal and won't alter the air fuel mixture that much
    Last edited by HU3436; 07-01-2018 at 08:38 PM.

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson
    Quote Originally Posted by HU3436 View Post
    I just read on k&n website that the hd1212 is a stock replacement filter so you can fit it but because you may have altered the backing plate for stage 1 unless you change that back to stock you will need to tune it even with stock pipes due to the increase in air as a stock replacement power increase is minimal and won't alter the air fuel mixture that much
    Yes cheers seen the K&N 1212, thats the one I was wondering provided any extra performance over a standard filter really

My Ride
    XL883 Low
    with a stock replacement there will be minimal gains but its more for the fact you don't need to change the filter as often as most of the k&n filters can be cleaned and reused you can purchase a cleaner and oil for them to service the filter it will 'breathe' better but not by much.