My Ride
    XL883 Low

At what mileage would you consider shock replacement/ fork overhaul on a sportster?

My 883 low has done 14k miles, once i've done another year around 19/20k i'm going to change the fork oil and grease & adjust the head bearings. What i'm also considering is Hagon fork springs and a pair of shocks.

Anybodys thoughts .....

My Ride
    Harley-Davidson Sportster
    I doubt that the shocks will have deteriorated much in 14k miles but they might not have been up to much to start with! I'm new to Harleys so I don't know how good/bad the factory shocks are. I have an 883 low too and am considering changing the shocks after 6k miles but that's mainly to increase the travel.

I'd say at 14k miles the forks will benefit from an oil change.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DavieL For This Useful Post:

HU3436 (06-20-2018)

My Ride
    Sportster 1200 ca
    Harley say to disassemble, inspect, rebuild, and replace fork oil every 50,000 miles. So you have a few more miles to go yet. But that doesn't take into account the age of the oil, on mine I'd look to change the oil every 3/4 years just to keep it fresh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B For This Useful Post:

HU3436 (06-22-2018)

My Ride
    XL1200C
    I’d say if you find the OEM front fork travel fine, then there’s no need to replace the fork springs. The front fork springs aren’t exposed to oxygen and should be in perfect condition (just look what happens to a half eaten apple when left for a few hours.) My Clymer manual says to change the front fork oil and lubricate the steering head bearings every 20,000 miles. Rear shocks are personal preference, IMO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Face For This Useful Post:

HU3436 (06-22-2018)